No votes
2009 - 2010
No votes
2011+
No votes

Total votes : 61

When did you start playing DAOC?

Postby Etaew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:53 am

DAOC launched in 2001, when did you first start playing? Live or Shards.
Retired DOL Enthusiast | Blog
Etaew
Inactive Staff Member

Re: When did you start playing DAOC?

Postby preachie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 am

Started in 2003 on European server Stonehenge.
Later on I moved to Camlann (EU PvP server), then back to Stonehenge.
I quitted DAoC in 2006 or so
preachie
Contributor

Postby Graveen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

First, the european beta (1.36). Guess this was in 2002.
Then the euro release. I was worried i could not keep my beta player :D

In France, GOA was offering T4C servers, for free, where a lot of players went finally to DAoC.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby preachie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 am

Oh yeah, I also played T4C before DAoC... but on a German server, and unfortunetaly not for free ;-)
I still have a T4C account somewhere on a free to play server...

Okay, BTT ;-)
preachie
Contributor

Postby Kedaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Like Graveen, at european beta :) And after release on YS french server *love* <3
Kedaz
DOL Initiate

Postby geshi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Around 2001 / 2002 playing about 1 hour a day on my dads pc before he got up :mrgreen: (yeah I was about 7 years old :confused: :shock: ) :mrgreen:

Took me about 3 years to get past level 5 on my own character :twisted:
geshi
Contributor

Postby Kedaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Took me about 3 years to get past level 5 on my own character :twisted:
Level 5 or 50 ? :D
Kedaz
DOL Initiate

Postby geshi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Level 5 or 50 ? :D
5 :(
geshi
Contributor

Postby Tolakram » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Early spring 2002. First started on Tristan but it had the lag issue (which they finally admitted to and replaced hardware) so we moved to Galahad where, after 8 or 9 months, I finally hit 50.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby geshi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Early spring 2002. First started on Tristan but it had the lag issue (which they finally admitted to and replaced hardware) so we moved to Galahad where, after 8 or 9 months, I finally hit 50.
That reminds me :mrgreen: , I was searching for Theurgist Air Pet Speed the other day and found this http://vnboards.ign.com/daoc_general_bo ... r33857876/ :) check 3rd post out :mrgreen:
geshi
Contributor

Postby rdsandersjr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Lol nice find geshi
Thanks,
RDSandersJR
rdsandersjr
Support Team

Postby Sand » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Mostly oldtimers here compared to me. My main live account creation date was 9 Feb 2004. I initially started playing for a couple weeks earlier on Wolf's account though, getting a Druid to 18 before I got my own copy to activate. He had returned to the game a few months earlier and played to understand his "I will be right there after I finish this level and train" that was often over an hour later. :) The old days where the upper levels took hours, plus Wolf takes forever to train sometimes.

Wolf of course had started out before gaheris was live so actually started on live servers but by that point he had pretty much made gaheris his home so that is where I started and mostly stayed. Was playing probably close to a year before creating characters on rvr server, that was only when our GM decided to make an event for us to play on Morgan and created a guild there.
Sand
Server Team

Postby THE_Wolfman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 am

I started playing DAoC in 2001 (client revision 1.02), with a cleric on the server Kay to support a couple friends. My first experience at RvR was at level 20, just outside the Castle Sauvage gates, where my contributions were limited to finding folks low enough in level that I could rez (yes, I gained RPs on my very first trip with a lowbie) and healing anyone I could (RPs for healing in RvR/PvP was added later). Leveling was slow and as my friends drifted away to play other games, I decided to try out the paladin and cablist as solo classes, and made a sorcerer for crafting material runs. Shrouded Isles came out and added to the world of DAoC of which I had seen only a small fraction.

Shortly after Gaheris opened up I rolled up a cabalist there, as I had found it to be rather good at leveling up solo and I wanted to 'see the world'. One of my friends returned to the game and rolled up a character on Gaheris, so I returned to to the support role with a cleric when he was on, and continued with the cabalist when he wasn't on. We joined a guild (ED) and months of adventuring/grinding went by. I needed a break, so I left the game for a short while. After returning from my break Trials of Atlantis was released and we found ourselves to low in level to really experience it, so my friend moved back to Kay where he could enjoy RvR and I returned to leveling my cabalist. Not long after, my friend found himself outclassed in RvR due to the ToA artifacts and he left the game again. I took over his account and made a shaman to run along with my Gaheris characters. Sand and I met, and I introduced her to "I will be right there after I finish this level and train", and that got her curious about DAoC so I let her create a character on my account and give it a try. Not long after that she got her own account, joined me in ED on Gaheris, and I finally got my first level 50 (Adrorel, my cabalist on Gaheris).

From there I was introduced to leading raids, when our guild leader had to depart from a raid they were leading and asked me to take over. I started running small raids to help guild members level up, and progressed to running battlegroup raids for the guild. When the DAoC population began to drop, I opened up my raids to the public (hitting the cap on maximum battlegroup size more than once) and supported other raid leaders. I continued this until DAoC stopped adding new content and began replacing content that was already in the game, at which time I said my final goodbye.

... and that's the short version! :lol:
THE Wolfman
former DOL Developer
THE_Wolfman
Inactive Staff Member

Postby Argo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 am

... and that's the short version! :lol:
DAMN :mrgreen:
Möge Gott sein zwischen Dir und dem Leid, an allen dunklen und verlassenen Orten, die Du erreichen wirst.
Argo
Server Team

Postby baradien » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:13 pm

2001 - 2002
here
well 1 year to get 50 really annoying with a pally to kill orange was so hard those days.
on prydwen/excalibur in the guild flemish lion really nice but it's a flemish one :)
i remenber old emain and that raid in emain. funny they got in to cotswold lol.
still good old days that will not return unfortunaly
baradien
Server Team

Return to “%s” Other Discussion