No votes
2009 - 2010
No votes
2011+
No votes

Total votes : 61

Re: When did you start playing DAOC?

Postby Roozzz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:18 pm

in the guild flemish lion really nice but it's a flemish one :)
Those Flemish are a special kind. They pretend to speak Dutch for the rest of Belgium. But actual Dutch people cannot understand a single word they are saying :mrgreen:
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
Roozzz
Database Team

Postby baradien » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:19 pm

in the guild flemish lion really nice but it's a flemish one :)
Those Flemish are a special kind. They pretend to speak Dutch for the rest of Belgium. But actual Dutch people cannot understand a single word they are saying :mrgreen:
lol :)
baradien
Server Team

Postby rdsandersjr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:52 am

Hmm, I started playing during beta when Light Elds had AE stun. However, Mythic said no realm would have PBAE and AE Stun, it would be to overpowered. *Cough* We know Mid's have had it forever =) Also, this was before Albs and Mids got endurance regen.

Anyhow, I started on the US server Isuelt Mid as a Troll Thane. Then moved to Pellinor Hibernia where I played the majority of my time. My first major RvR experience was on Isuelt, where the max level was around level 35ish, I was a level 20 thane and my job during RvR was to help carry rams and not die =) Another fond memory was running around emain with a 35ish skald on my thane and I remember the skald telling me to keep hidden inside trees or I would die! I remember my heart pounding out of my chest while following him around. Boy those was the days!

Other servers i played

Bors, Lancelot, Tristran = Albion
Pellinor = Hibs
Igraine, Isuelt, Palomodis = Mids

Ran three accounts, since DAoCX came out (allowed you to run in Windowed Mode and Alt+Tab), been here at DOL for along time I think in 07' i registered, but lurked around since 05 or so.
Thanks,
RDSandersJR
rdsandersjr
Support Team

Postby Sand » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Well no realm has both on the same character, which could been what they meant or they did change their mind. Mid is the only realm with ae stun giving them a certain edge. With purge though, it's hardly the overpowered thing it might been at one time in rvr. In PVE, I seldom see it used much. Taking mass mobs in my experience meant purples on gaheris so guard was preferred over a healer stunning them.

I do find the ae stun of the healer makes her a nice companion for a thane though main reasons I choose her was for base buffs and celerity since thanes get their own str/con, just that ae stun can be helpful, just most times one resists so it's just reducing number of hits I take rather than allowing me to cast more.
Sand
Server Team

Postby Tsproggy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:51 pm

I started playing on my godfather's computer, I would spend hours watching him play and asking questions. He had alot of friends and even a mathmatician friend who would crunch numbers of odds and what not. I was 15 or so I believe it must have been 2004 I think. Very good memories! My first character was an icconu necromancer pet spec! I never got to level 50 by myself but my godfather would help me when I was gone :)
Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward. - Thomas Edison
Tsproggy
DOL Initiate

Postby Overdriven » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Well, I'm 23. I remember playing this game when I was 15. So, that would be 8 years ago (Approaching 9) so l guess 2002/3.

Started playing after I moved to Surrey when a friend introduced me to it. First ever character was a BoneDancer on the EU server Prydwen (R.I.P.) as I got told 'It's easier to level than a Healer' - It took me a good few months to hit the 45 mark (At the point of going to Malmo). There I met people I spent the next 4-5 years with (Some I still know today).

Eventually (after getting a few 50s) moved to Camlann as an Infiltraitor, Vicedriven, ended up as one of the few stealthers who could actually play the game without strafing (Can't now!). Was a guild hopper for quite a long time, but ended up living mostly with Coo Coo and Wrath of Valhalla. Occasional RvR-Sub for Maelstrom.

Moved back to Prydwen before ToA and pimped my Shaman up, eventually becoming an RvR whore. Took a massive break from the game and ended up on the US servers (PvE server) where I just played to relax. Stopped playing some months ago (Shards) and not really missed the game (But the people) - I suffer the same with Etaew (one of his other posts) where the game is just too out-dated for me to play it.

O.D.
Overdriven
Inactive Staff Member

Postby Argo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:01 pm

stumbled over the DAoC Beta in a Gamestar Magazin in 2001, hooked to DAoC ever since :D
Möge Gott sein zwischen Dir und dem Leid, an allen dunklen und verlassenen Orten, die Du erreichen wirst.
Argo
Server Team

Postby Dinberg » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Mid is the only realm with ae stun giving them a certain edge. With purge though, it's hardly the overpowered thing it might been at one time in rvr. In PVE, I seldom see it used much. Taking mass mobs in my experience meant purples on gaheris so guard was preferred over a healer stunning them.
To be honest, I never thought the aoe stun a particular advantage - due to the MAssist nature of RvR good teams should only be attacking a pacified group one at a time anyway, and a good dps output will drop members fast enough that they may aswell have been stunned. If I had the choice, I'd go for a long range aoe mezz because getting the drop first makes one hell of a difference :D
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby geshi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 am

I started playing when I was about 8/9 with my dad.. used to play about 20minutes a day before school.. I remember when Malice 3 o 3 was really really rare and I woke up early before school and went on my dads warrior and got him it :mrgreen:
geshi
Contributor

Postby burfo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:13 am

October 21, 2001. My college roomate purchased the game for himself on October 20 and I was immediately hooked! Started with an armsman ("Burfo") on the Morgan le Fay server. I played up until the launch of New Frontiers, at which point I moved on to other things.

I hate to admit it, but on my very first day I saw a Cabalist pet and thought it was a playable race!
Burfo
burfo
DOL Guest

Postby Oxydean » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 am

Started 2nd day of usa's closed beta , then done usa open beta and i had to wait for european open beta ( edited by Wanadoo ) . But i also must confess that i could play the game when berseks were able to wield 2handed weapons in each hand and had a loading to go out of starters town ( like from Vasudheim to go out kill some wildlings near the 1st big tree .
Oxydean
Server Team

Postby Krusck » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Vortigern-DEIRA server ^^

Albion
Hurricane BETA Cooming
Krusck
DOL Follower

Postby Lost » Tue May 08, 2012 12:36 am

Rip Andred-US
2001-2002,
Matt WHERE ARE YOU! (not mattress)
~ Conspire to survive
Lost
DOL Novice

Postby rej » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Started at the End of 2002 (i believe) on Camlann. The day before i played D2 and wondered why i couldn't attack mobs with rightclicking!! Didn't even figure out why i wasn't able to use those styles as a shaman.
I even thought those npcs were other players, which were afk. I waited about 15 minutes for them to respond to my question and then moved on (lol). Played with a friend of mine quite some time Paladin/Shaman group until we got noticed to first create a char and level it up to 50 on a normal server.
So we moved to Avalon/Midgard. There we played Shaman/Spiritmaster and found a friend who played a runemaster.
Afterwards we both made Necromancers on Lyonesse/Albion and leveled ourselves up in 4 months to 50.
When hitting 50, TOA was released and we finally moved on to Camlann.
There i made a Healer and a Nightshade which got powerleveled (for the NS because of free stealth every 8 levels or so)

I also did some twinking and got Animist, Valewalker, Minstrel, Ranger which i didn't really like to play.
When i aborted the game due to low population at the end of 2005 - it must have been Catacombs which was released - my Healer was 6L and my nightshade 5L.. in various guilds, i founded two of them for myself.
Instant PvP: RIP '2005
new project coming soon.
rej
DOL Experienced

Postby Graveen » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Requiem ? played in Para Bellum, In Memoriam on Camlann
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Return to “%s” Other Discussion