So how do I say 'how has everyone been'?

Forum for any discussion not Dawn of Light related

Moderator: Support Team

So how do I say 'how has everyone been'?

Postby Charactraus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Before I say something normal, I'm going to state something rather creepy: It's rather strange how we all keep coming back here, one way or another isn't it?

So... how has everyone been? I see it's been a long time since I was here. 2011? Seems like forever. 2012? No way, that must have been after my incident. It's hard to think that my participation in DoL was right before I took a mysterious poof... like everyone else here in one way or another. Well,to explain that, I had a nice long succession of bad years, back to back to back. Story time inc...

2011 was probably the year when everything started to go downhill for me. You see, around mid July, I was dealing with my boyfriend (he's actually so girlish that he doesn't deserve the title of "boy" even but we won't get into that) at the time moving away across the United States. In fact, I remember middle of July quite fondly not because of that, which wasn't really traumatic, but because of what happened the day that little kid was here for his last day. The previous day, we had some leftover chicken in the fridge and being the idiot deciding to risk it... well... let's just say I was sicker than a dog the next day when the girl came over to spend his last day with me. I wish I could say I had food poisoning and move on. No. Nope. Nada. Somehow, the fowl chicken managed to get caught in my Appendix and make it rupture from some kind of infection. Well, long story short, I nearly died. As in I apparently nearly didn't wake up from surgery.

I got out of the hospital a week later.

Urg. Thankfully, I didn't get to embarrass whatever dignity I had left here. It happened in TF2 while I was still whacked to hell on pain meds. During the week or two after the hospital, I even managed to flash-write an entire book that made little to no sense at all and had not-a-plot worth the Internet space to mention. In short, be glad I wasn't here during that time. :)

2012 I guess was all right for me. I finally obtained a significant other that wasn't a complete girl and everything was mostly fine. Visited my other over the summer, went back to Texas... then everything kinda went downhill again. From late 2012 to middle 2013 is another set of time where it was bad for me to be around anything and anyone. Anger, angst... depression. Thankfully, it's all quite over for now. In fact, in June, I moved up to Ohio state to live with said other and things have been pretty cool since.

But pretty much since July, I've had this nagging... hunger to get back into DAoC. So I've kinda been wondering how it's been trotting along. I haven't done anything with being a programmer or doing any hardcore computer management (other than breaking my laptop apart when I became bored) and I've been thinking I should probably get back into the Open Source field again and try to do something with it. Which raises the important bit, DoL still exists so DAoC miraculously isn't dead yet. How is the project? Has anything major been rehauled since I poofed into thin air? Do people from old DoL still exist? And wow... has anyone done something stupid lately?

PS: Somehow, I remember my DoL Forum password but I can't remember my Spotify password. No promises if I could remember any of my DAoC passwords/account combinations. I also wonder if it would be possible to get that info if I couldn't remember that?
There's a consciousness in the netspace, eating your bits and bytes. It's probably not me, but I forgot to remember to forget if that's true or not. If it calms you, it is most likely not benevolent or malicious. I can't even remember my name. Does it start with a letter? I can't quite prove this...
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Re: So how do I say 'how has everyone been'?

Postby Dinberg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Good to see you around, its always nice to see a familiar face turn up and say hi to dol. Hope things have been going a bit more smoothly for you of late, maybe you'll get a chance to get back into DoL now? :D
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby Charactraus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Good to see you around, its always nice to see a familiar face turn up and say hi to dol. Hope things have been going a bit more smoothly for you of late, maybe you'll get a chance to get back into DoL now? :D
Oh, aye. They have been a lot more smooth. The only thing I can think of "going wrong" is the part where it's about impossible to find a job in Ohio. (Also had a hard time in Central Texas, yes, the state that wants to secede :lol: ) Other than that, it seems to be fine. Most likely going to go back to school in the 2014 year and pick on Computer Engineering or programming. Yeah, stupid idea considering the programming market is getting flooded but it's the only job I can ever see myself doing and actually enjoying.

But yeah. I'll finally have a chance to get back into DoL. I spend too many nights seemingly doing nothing and it's starting to drive me nuts. I really kinda forgot how many nights I wasted away on Open Source and doing my own thing. Sadly, those nights went by pretty fast. A hell of a lot faster than Diablo 3*, that's for sure.

* I think I have less than 200 hours into it. I am not really that impressed. I really was hoping for more. Good try, but it's not the score that game review sites give.
There's a consciousness in the netspace, eating your bits and bytes. It's probably not me, but I forgot to remember to forget if that's true or not. If it calms you, it is most likely not benevolent or malicious. I can't even remember my name. Does it start with a letter? I can't quite prove this...
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Postby Tolakram » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Howdy!

I got to act III in Diablo III and then one day could not bring myself to play it anymore. That was it for me.

Good to see you around. Glad everything is going well for you.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Charactraus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Howdy!

I got to act III in Diablo III and then one day could not bring myself to play it anymore. That was it for me.

Good to see you around. Glad everything is going well for you.
Oh hey Markalot! Quite excellent to see you're still floating about! I figured you would've committed murder by now from what I remember with Storm: D2. Speaking of D2, how has it been moving along? I hope it still is doing well/is fun? Hopefully you have been doing well. Actually, hopefully everyone has. It would be terrible if everyone else had misfortune...

Ugh... D3... so much promise. I was stupid enough to have played it to the end multiple times. I had some fun with it but the constant market inflation was absurd. If you think the leveling was bad, endgame is even worse. It feels like a WoW clone without any epic bosses to kill/sweet loot to collect. Waste of $60. :(
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Postby Graveen » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Yop Charz, effectively long time i have not see you roaming on theses forums.

Glad to hear all is better than2 years ago ! i can remember you were not in the mood to learn how to code, but perhaps it is something you could try, now ? :D
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Charactraus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Yop Charz, effectively long time i have not see you roaming on theses forums.

Glad to hear all is better than2 years ago ! i can remember you were not in the mood to learn how to code, but perhaps it is something you could try, now ? :D
Well, it's been a rough ride but everything's finally stable. I think it really does show that you can't live your life around the bad and should take the good you get and savor it.

... urk. Coding. Yeah. That one is hard to explain. I actually was in the mood to learn coding. I just was kinda terrified of it. Terrified in the sense of "oh that is complex and very unknown, how do I handle the unknown thing that makes even those that know it rack their head against the desk and scream for mercy and absolution?" Well, eventually I did bite the bullet and took a series of classes on learning the "fundamentals" of programming. Unfortunately, the C++ portion of that class was rather stupid and we didn't even get into voids. I am not lying when I say that the entire time, I was banging my head against the keyboard, trying to figure out why one thing couldn't be used with the other to get "it just doesn't work". No why or "they just clash". Just "they don't work together". We also had really bad class scheduling so people that completed lessons would sit around doing nothing for a week or so at a time. So, I think my teacher didn't know what they were doing or never taught C++ before. :P

But on the other side, I did learn HTML/CSS and Visual BASIC. BASIC was only annoying in the sense that pretty much everything that can be done is self-explanatory and that the program used, Visual Studio Professional 2010, hides the options and makes it a pain to find everything. More or less, I only still have the book just in case I need it to find a freekin' option. :roll:

All of that aside, it doesn't mean I wouldn't want to make an attempt at throwing something in every now and then. I just don't know a thing about C# and I haven't even touched C++ in a few years. I think when I get fluent in MySQL again, though... I'll probably do some of the things not many people want to do. I noticed the latest patch from Mythic changes a lot of stuff. Pseudo-balancing? Actual balancing? I am not sure. I need to remember everything I used to know first.

Eventually, I will be doing something, though. I mean, I do want to chase some kind of career in programming. When I did know what was going on, I had a blast. Just this time, I will do to an actual school for it instead of an initiative-thing run in Texas.
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Postby Etaew » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Wave, C++ is crazy for learning, it is something I continue to avoid to this day. C#, Java, PHP, JavaScript are all pretty similar syntax and are much much easier :)
Retired DOL Enthusiast | Blog
Etaew
Inactive Staff Member

Return to “%s” Other Discussion