DAoC Operations moved from Mythic to Broadsword

Forum for any discussion not Dawn of Light related

Moderator: Support Team

Re: DAoC Operations moved from Mythic to Broadsword

Postby geshi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:54 pm

Stop listening to players. Most problems solved. :)

My son and I are playing the original Guild Wars over again from level 1. That is a fun game, interesting story line, and amazingly the world feels alive even though we spend most of our time in instances. I paid $40 back in 2005, bought all the expansions so my total outlay over 8 years is probably $100.

I tried Guild Wars 2, the one where they listened to players to make it a better game. It sucked. If players knew what they wanted they would be game designers.

/end typical tola rant
What don't you like about GW2? I never really played GW1 much so I can't really compare them but I found GW2 to have the most fun and interesting PvE/leveling experience out of any MMO I've played. They actually rewarded exploring which is what I wish every MMO would do. I did quit GW2 after a month or so though, the PvP was pretty dreadful and the classes were all very meh... not to mention quite a few things didn't work correctly back then (no auction house etc)
geshi
Contributor

Postby Tralon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 pm

(x)====|X|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tralon
DOL Experienced

Postby dargon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:06 am

yep cant wait for CU but i wudnt mind a revamped DAoC either
Mannik: Admin of Forsaken Worlds Reborn
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby geshi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:22 am

Looking at CU's progress over the past year (it has been in dev for about 13 months) I extremely doubt we'll see Alpha/Beta this year unless they really kick into gear over the next 4/5 months.
geshi
Contributor

Postby Tolakram » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 pm

What don't you like about GW2? I never really played GW1 much so I can't really compare them but I found GW2 to have the most fun and interesting PvE/leveling experience out of any MMO I've played. They actually rewarded exploring which is what I wish every MMO would do. I did quit GW2 after a month or so though, the PvP was pretty dreadful and the classes were all very meh... not to mention quite a few things didn't work correctly back then (no auction house etc)
Ha, I'm not sure what I didn't like, if I could put my finger on it I would be a better game designer. New shiny things, very pretty, but in the end this old man would start to dose off after 20 minutes in the game, so I quit. I thought the same would happen playing guild wars 1 again, but it just keeps me interested. It's the game and the quality of the story, not the mechanics and the shiny stuff.

You will hear over and over how story and quests mean so little to players. In a way it's true, but for the WoW crowd, not for us folks who like to treat games as a story. The GW1 main quest line tells a story of a horrible event that happened to destroy the beautiful GW1 world, and the argument between king (father) and son (prince) as to how to regroup and fight off the enemy that destroyed their world. It's worth buying the core game (prophecies is the original campaign) and trying it out.

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store ... item_id=11

$20 for the core game, $30 for core plus the first three expansions.

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store ... tem_id=109

I'll never understand why they called it Guild Wars and put the chicks on the cover. It's a horrible name and tells nothing of the actual story. The best cover would have been the The Prince, The Charr, and the little girl who likes to collect flowers.

The expansions to GW1 were all pretty poor, and a hint that the devs had run out of good story to tell. My opinion of course.

Yesterday I made sure I could still use my GW2 account, so at some point I'll play again just to see if I have a different opinion.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Ephemeral » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Stop listening to players. Most problems solved. :)

My son and I are playing the original Guild Wars over again from level 1. That is a fun game, interesting story line, and amazingly the world feels alive even though we spend most of our time in instances. I paid $40 back in 2005, bought all the expansions so my total outlay over 8 years is probably $100.

I tried Guild Wars 2, the one where they listened to players to make it a better game. It sucked. If players knew what they wanted they would be game designers.

/end typical tola rant

Oh please GW2 is plenty good, its just a different game, I am glad however it keeps the smaller quickbar stuff.

Also, GW1 from level one in what campaign? Because two of those three could be much faster, whereas the first campaign took weeks and weeks to get anywhere.
"The swarm is always smarter, faster and more adept than any actor which seeks to thwart it."
C++, Java, C#, VB.NET, ASM.
Current Project:
Engine Developer for The Red Solstice
Ephemeral
DOL Freak

Postby Tolakram » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:48 pm

The original campaign, the one that took longer. We got to the ascension missions in 3 days of partial playing, but now going back and doing quests to gain a few more levels. It's not perfect, but it is staying enjoyable which is a lot more than I can say for most of the recent games I've tried.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Ephemeral » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:38 pm

The people who play the games (The new people anyways) are different then they once were, so games have to change with em.. or you know, die like warhammer did.
"The swarm is always smarter, faster and more adept than any actor which seeks to thwart it."
C++, Java, C#, VB.NET, ASM.
Current Project:
Engine Developer for The Red Solstice
Ephemeral
DOL Freak

Postby Tolakram » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 pm

The people who play the games (The new people anyways) are different then they once were, so games have to change with em.. or you know, die like warhammer did.
I don't see the correlation. Warhammer sucked at pretty much everything it tried to do.

I'll try GW2 again for sure. I have very limited time, and it felt just like WoW, at least from the start, so I'm not sure what I missed.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby dargon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 am

In general Warhammer And GW2 were too much like WoW for my taste, while daoc's tri-realm is great for pvp and the many different classes gave me a feeling of a truly unique "culture" for each side and GW just had an amazibg story-line ganeplay and was a unique experiance for me. and i liked their dual-class system
Mannik: Admin of Forsaken Worlds Reborn
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby Charactraus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:31 am

You will hear over and over how story and quests mean so little to players. In a way it's true, but for the WoW crowd, not for us folks who like to treat games as a story.
Sane Warcraft nerd here,
I love the story lines. I love the quest continuity. I love it when the developers throw back to the Warcraft era and bring the ORIGINAL INTENDED THING back into the new thing. I love replaying Warcraft quests and storylines in WoW. I love it when the developers actually stay straight to the lore and bring it into the game and make the world an actual immersion instead of some kind of bland piece of crap meant for only endgame.
This is why Cataclysm pisses me off so much. That expansion, while able to have joy milked out of it, screwed with continuity and made the quests bland and uninteresting. I mean... wow they made Deathwing a jerk and that's it. :P
But I'll agree: listening to the players messed it up. "TOO HARD" "TOO HARD" now look at Pandas. :lol:
There's a consciousness in the netspace, eating your bits and bytes. It's probably not me, but I forgot to remember to forget if that's true or not. If it calms you, it is most likely not benevolent or malicious. I can't even remember my name. Does it start with a letter? I can't quite prove this...
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Return to “%s” Other Discussion