Broadsword wants Steamworks in DAoC

Forum for any discussion not Dawn of Light related

Moderator: Support Team

Broadsword wants Steamworks in DAoC

Postby Charactraus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:29 pm

... and it is totally legit.

I'm not sure if this is a good direction to go... actually, I think this is a terrible decision just based on too many variables. Not to mention the fact that Mark Jacobs, still a little bitter after being fired, is going to release Camelot Unchained, which will have a lower subscription fee than Dark Age currently does.

Here's the big question; what's the DOL Team/Community's thoughts behind this development?

Personal question, though: Does this pretty much end progressiveness in DOL if DAoC becomes a Steamworks client?
There's a consciousness in the netspace, eating your bits and bytes. It's probably not me, but I forgot to remember to forget if that's true or not. If it calms you, it is most likely not benevolent or malicious. I can't even remember my name. Does it start with a letter? I can't quite prove this...
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Re: Broadsword wants Steamworks in DAoC

Postby Etaew » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 am

I can't understand how the game will benefit, exposure? support for ui mods?
Retired DOL Enthusiast | Blog
Etaew
Inactive Staff Member

Postby Graveen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 am

i think, exposure, mainly. Steam is a leader platform and i belive it is slowly becoming uncontournable for PC gaming.

I don't think it could harm DAoC in any way. I don't also think it would bring many new players, too.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby DocCody » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 pm

I think Broadsword is looking for increased exposure AND hedging their bets. If in the future EA pulls the plug on DAoC I, Broadsword will still have a distribution channel.
Doc Cody
Project Genesis Community Manager
DocCody
DOL Guest

Postby Charactraus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:12 am

Exposure... maybe. But with the $15 a month price tag, it isn't going to get much in terms. There's plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't devote to that. Aesthetics, as pathetic as it is, is one of those. Not to mention there are Free-to-Plays that are pretty good.

I personally have a problem with the fact that EA is choosing to try and use Steam again after they pretty much gave the bird to VALVe. Not to mention that Greenlight is for Indie developers, not corporations. :P

So let's say worst case scenario: EA tries to play smart for once and adapt. What happens to the project?
There's a consciousness in the netspace, eating your bits and bytes. It's probably not me, but I forgot to remember to forget if that's true or not. If it calms you, it is most likely not benevolent or malicious. I can't even remember my name. Does it start with a letter? I can't quite prove this...
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Postby geshi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 am

Exposure... maybe. But with the $15 a month price tag, it isn't going to get much in terms. There's plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't devote to that. Aesthetics, as pathetic as it is, is one of those. Not to mention there are Free-to-Plays that are pretty good.

I personally have a problem with the fact that EA is choosing to try and use Steam again after they pretty much gave the bird to VALVe. Not to mention that Greenlight is for Indie developers, not corporations. :P

So let's say worst case scenario: EA tries to play smart for once and adapt. What happens to the project?
I agree with the price tag, I personally have no issue with paying $15 a month as I know what I'm getting with the game but why would someone pay $15 a month instead of playing Rift/SWTOR for free or paying $50 for a game like GW2 instead? they really need to lower the price down to a maximum of $10 a month or release F2P servers which would greatly benefit the game... level cap 24 and 3 character slots.. it would give people a taste of Thidranki.

I don't think EA had any say in this decision and I also think it's quite weird how DAoC was never put on origin.

Is Greenlight for indie developers though? I know that's what it was originally set out to be.. but I think it should/has become more like Kickstarter, it's a tester to see if the community would buy the game or not.

I don't see how this could effect DOL at all really? apart from give the project more exposure..
geshi
Contributor

Postby baradien » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:11 pm

Well seems they have passed their tests. Got greenlight recently. Both ultima as daoc
baradien
Server Team

Return to “%s” Other Discussion