Mythic's now dead

Forum for any discussion not Dawn of Light related

Moderator: Support Team

Mythic's now dead

Postby Charactraus » Fri May 30, 2014 3:10 am

EA has just thrown another small-name company onto the chopping block. Looks like the original team has now officially been scattered to the winds. I am terrified on what EA's going to do to DAoC next...

Link to story here [PC Gamer]
There's a consciousness in the netspace, eating your bits and bytes. It's probably not me, but I forgot to remember to forget if that's true or not. If it calms you, it is most likely not benevolent or malicious. I can't even remember my name. Does it start with a letter? I can't quite prove this...
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Re: Mythic's now dead

Postby Leodagan » Fri May 30, 2014 8:33 am

About EA destroying developers teams it has always been like that...

Mostly every time they buy a studio, half of the devs quit to join other company, some years later the last ones leaves too, then you have just a studio name with nobody working in the former studio...

Some year later this "common studio" lose the faith of player knowing that it has nothing to do with the "name", so EA get rid of the name too !

example : Bullfrog, Westwood...

As for what EA plan to do to DAOC, I must admit that running this game for 13 years is not the worst thing they could have done ;)
Leodagan
Developer

Postby geshi » Fri May 30, 2014 11:09 pm

After the Dungeon Keeper remake they made this isn't really a surprise sadly
geshi
Contributor

Postby Graveen » Sat May 31, 2014 9:22 am

Mythic is dead since EA bought it, but DAoC is still alive and now runned by Broadsword who seems to change things - although it could not success. For now the game is always great to play.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby HunabKu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:25 am

Do you think when they down DAoC, they will share the code ? :lol:
Personaly not.
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer

Postby Blue » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:51 am

Do you think when they down DAoC, they will share the code ? :lol:
Personaly not.
I would highly appreciate that. Or just open up all formulas / key functions to the public. But ofc they don't care and all devs had NDA's signed otherwise they could give us some hints/help.
ex DOL Lead Developer
Blue
Uthgard Admin

Postby HunabKu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:02 pm

yep
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer

Postby Ephemeral » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:00 pm

They won't share jack shit. :P EA owns it, and the Gamebryo engine is absurdly expensive.

On the upside though, its outlasted a game that was made while DAoC existed, so I don't see it being shut down anytime soon.
"The swarm is always smarter, faster and more adept than any actor which seeks to thwart it."
C++, Java, C#, VB.NET, ASM.
Current Project:
Engine Developer for The Red Solstice
Ephemeral
DOL Freak

Postby Charactraus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:01 pm

I just got off retail and I wish I never went on to begin with.

I indulged in my nostalgia for around five hours and just kinda... quit. I am very disappointed. The game feels very hollow from what it was back in 2001-2002. Very depressing. I saw maybe 6 people in my entire romp levels 1-19 and I began to question if I accidentally loaded up my private server on accident. Ran into low-level RvR and... ran home. No one was there and there were no hints of other people. Kinda very depressing.

Something that kind of bothered me though... lots of typos and quests that haven't been updated since the new-new quest changes that track the general quest area on your map. Some quest descriptions for my enchanter epic were very... vague and it made me just throw the quest into the "never again" bin. The UI has had an attempt to be updated but it still requires a lot of updates to make it better for someone that is new to the game. They dumbed down the styles and their numbers... so now you do not have to think "wow, is .56 out of 100 good on damage output?" :?

The game feels helplessly dead. No one talks in /b or /region unless it's a "HELP" question. But something I noticed was that trial accounts cannot even broadcast for help... so they have to use the /who [region] function and send to someone for help. But the chances of help are... none. Those that ask for help in /b-/r are just trolled. "Hey guys, how do I get out of tutorial?" "Oh, it's easy, you just exit the game and hit uninstall retard." As an experiment, I tried sending to random people, asking for help, and got pretty much the same response, some more vulgar. I pretended to be someone new to the game and that seemed to open me up to further exploitation. Disgusting.

EA might as well just post the code for everyone at this point. The community's a bunch of elitist shits and their game feels so stale that I really don't want to jump back in to get my character to 50. Also, only 10 Ewain servers? Good lord. Might as well just merge them all together because, again, there's NO ONE to be found in a 10mil radius. I didn't even see people in Tir Na Nog.

I honestly think it's about done, guys. If they axed WAR (which was a fair enough game for those that enjoyed it) and Mythic, I'm betting that DAoC is next. The game's obviously not getting the good publicity they hoped for with this Steam thing. It doesn't help that whatever new blood that tries to flow in is completely unwelcome. :P

Time to update the DOL downloads page to have a link to the 1.98 client. *teehee*
There's a consciousness in the netspace, eating your bits and bytes. It's probably not me, but I forgot to remember to forget if that's true or not. If it calms you, it is most likely not benevolent or malicious. I can't even remember my name. Does it start with a letter? I can't quite prove this...
Charactraus
DOL Acolyte

Postby Graveen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:32 pm

You can still have fun with a decent guild, and running in main RVR. I admit i had those feelings (understand, the empty bgs) until level 20 or 24 where BGs are full, and 35/39 is an highway.

Running solo in NNF is possible, but yeah, 3k+ servers would be very interesting.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby InkDemon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:56 am

About EA destroying developers teams it has always been like that...

Mostly every time they buy a studio, half of the devs quit to join other company, some years later the last ones leaves too, then you have just a studio name with nobody working in the former studio...

Some year later this "common studio" lose the faith of player knowing that it has nothing to do with the "name", so EA get rid of the name too !

example : Bullfrog, Westwood...

As for what EA plan to do to DAOC, I must admit that running this game for 13 years is not the worst thing they could have done ;)
example.. ShadowBane...
Yes EA is bad for dev groups :/
InkDemon
DOL Visitor

Return to “%s” Other Discussion