A PHP'er is thinking of learning ASP.NET

Forum for any discussion not Dawn of Light related

Moderator: Support Team

A PHP'er is thinking of learning ASP.NET

Postby Shadexx » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Hey folks,

the title says everything actually. I am thinking of learning more of ASP.NET, however I am not sure how much efficient it is. I am currently working with PHP mostly and you need templating to effectively bund PHP & HTML, there are template engines like Smarty etc .. however I've heard that in ASP.NET you don't need this templating because ASP.NET offers this from one hand.

How difficult ASP.NET is actually? Is the similarity to C# relevant since its a .NET language as well? Is it hard to get through it when you already know PHP? Is ASP.NET really more efficient in the point of perfomance and speed? Is it significantly?
Shadexx
DOL Experienced

Re: A PHP'er is thinking of learning ASP.NET

Postby Leodagan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:49 pm

.NET is not a language it's a framework.

So you will be able to use the same framework and object logic from ASP or VB or C# or F# (even C++ I think...) if you're relying on .NET library, but from what I saw in MS documentation ASP or VB is nothing like C# (from PHP I couldn't say, but as a former PHP dev I'm way more comfortable with c#/java than VB/ASP...)
Leodagan
Developer

Postby Shadexx » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:21 am

Yeah I know .NET is the framework. I was wondering if the similarity from ASP.NET to C# is high.
Shadexx
DOL Experienced

Postby rdsandersjr » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:59 pm

You can write "ASP.NET" in C#, VB, ect.. ASP.NET is not like the legacy ASP code where it was written in VB.
Thanks,
RDSandersJR
rdsandersjr
Support Team

Return to “%s” Other Discussion