few sharpdevelop Q's

Forum for any discussion not Dawn of Light related

Moderator: Support Team

few sharpdevelop Q's

Postby ontheDOL » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:13 am

hey all,
just wondering if there is a way to get more information from the error log in Sharpdevelop? particularly for an error im getting

"msb3247 found conflicts between different versions of the same dependent assembly"
but it doesnt actually tell you what dependencies its coming from....

Im also looking for a recent compiled version... i see the nightly build site is down, im not sure how long its been down for. But i need a version that supports NuGet 2.12+ (this might be @Graveen , as i see he is a contributor there :D )

i tried compiling a version with msbuild but i get 1872 errors :shock:
- Unty -
Model Showroom and DOL guides
http://losojos-001-site1.btempurl.com
ontheDOL
Developer

Re: few sharpdevelop Q's

Postby Graveen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am

I used to be a very supporter of SharpDevelop... allthough i sometimes use it for debug/trace without installing the whole visual studio, i have switched to visual studio as it is now free and full featured (but it is a pain to install).

The error you see is given by the compiler: sharpdevelop isn't handling theses messages.

I'm not aware of a Nuget compliant 2.12 version. Basically SD was maintained "as is" as soon as MS released VS CE :(
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby ontheDOL » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:24 pm

ahh ok, i didnt realise VS is free... i guess i might have to try it out but i dont know if my little laptop can handle it!
all the posts related to those errors tell you how to fix in in VS :P

still, i will have to keep checking this nightly biuld site to see if it comes back up. i read a post from one of the developers that they added nuget 2.12 support back in august
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby HunabKu » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi, VS 2017 is a lot better on installation ;-)
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer

Postby Graveen » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Yes but SD is really lightweight. VS is nice but a real disk space eater :D
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby HunabKu » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:48 am

I personaly use Monodevelop (Xamarin for Windows users)
HunabKu
Developer

Postby Graveen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:31 pm

I did not try recently MonoDevelop but i had to use Xamarin Studio - which is based on MD but i don't exactly know what they added/removed or if it is baremetal monodevelop with just title updated.

Well, i think SD was a better choice, but you're right, it is at least lightweight (and cross platform, which is what matters you Hunab i guess)
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby ontheDOL » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:47 pm

is it a big change interface-wise going from sharpdevelop to VS? I dont really wanna change , but i need the nuget 2.12 so i can try and port Metty's pathing code (2.12 needed for grpc.core and async 3.1 dependencies)
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby Graveen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Yes and no. Yes because VS got many more tools, and No because the concepts are still common to a code editor, and C# code editors are roughly designed identically.
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby HunabKu » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 am

Monodevelop is free and open-source.
Xamarin is the Windows version, developed by the Xamarin company. It's exatly the same.
Monodevelop and Xamarin was acquired by Microsoft but rest free and open-source.
Monodevelop/Xamarin have also the GUI editor, SharpDevelo phave not.
They also support the Mono language, so it's best for making Windows/Linux/Mac compatibility.

Have a look here.
HunabKu
Developer

Postby Graveen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:30 am

Monodevelop is free and open-source.
Xamarin is the Windows version, developed by the Xamarin company. It's exatly the same.
Monodevelop and Xamarin was acquired by Microsoft but rest free and open-source.
Monodevelop/Xamarin have also the GUI editor, SharpDevelo phave not.
They also support the Mono language, so it's best for making Windows/Linux/Mac compatibility.

Have a look here.
Small corrections:
Xamarin is a company, the product based on MonoDevelop is "Xamarin Studio". This IDE is cross platform (but mainly targetted at macOS - and simply because Visual Studio was not available on macOS). Alongside, now VS have reached macOS in beta, i wonder if Xamarin Studio will be improved a lot (or simply throwed to the toilets).

SharpDevelop got both GUI editor: WinForms & WPF. #D is not cross platform, so you can run it only on windows.

Xamarin Studio embed Mono framework, alongside .NET fwks. You can code a direct cross platform solution. But the problem stands in the version of the framework you would use for your application, and the assemblies/features you want: there are significant differences with 4.5, 4.6.1, Mono7.0, Portable8, CompactFramework, and now even .NET core ("one ring to rule them all") . So you have to choose very carefully :D

The best illustration is the actual market segment of Xamarin: code in .NET some cross platform mobile apps.
But, this is roughly a big hack. It works - so your app will work with iOS, Android, but it is not really as simple as an "Hello World".
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Leodagan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 am

For my part I still use SharpDevelop...

Mainly because I'm used to its interface now, I'm not loosing time searching for the features I use on a daily basis and I don't feel like I miss a killer feature...

But the other great advantage of SharpDevelop is the ability to run it without setup as a "Portable App", I can bring it on an external hard-drive or external SSD and code on the go or follow some objects references when replying to support request in the Forum :D

Visual Studio Community is a mess... the setup is really heavy weight, it tries to install some SDK and other services (SQL Server Express etc...), grab a lot of data from internet during the setup, and forces you to register with a "Social Network" Account before using it !

Trying to run this on a company-owned computer is a out of the question, it needs admin rights, leave a lot of traces, can wreak the company internet bandwidth policy, forces me to use "private" community account on a "public-like" computer...

But yeah the development seems stalled, I fear that it won't be working for long when targeting newer .NET Framework or even .NET Core, I hope I'm wrong because I'll totally use SharpDevelop as long as it can compile and debug :)
Leodagan
Developer

Postby Graveen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 am

"VSC is a mess..."

I would say a total nightmare ^^. It installs SDKs, SQL server, and you end up with 30Gb filled by VS easily :D

This is also my use case: a portable sharpdevelop on usb stick that i can live run for debug on targetted computers - if i can. By "if i can", i mean choosing a supported framework to do this :D
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby ontheDOL » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:37 pm

30gb? wow that's....disgusting :P

I just remembered i can download nuget packages form their site and just add them "manually" instead of needing the package manager /slapshead

so i guess i don't need a more recent sharpdevelop!
edit# i suppose another problem is it doesn't support c# 6.0?
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby Leodagan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 pm

It doesn't seem to support C# 6...

But maybe it's because of Framework Target...

Honestly I'm having trouble to check that the code I'm writing is compatible with Mono, and I'm beginning to question the ability to compile against .NET Core !

.NET Core will be a must for multi-platform, and it'll probably will the framework to target if we want to use most up to date feature, I still have no Idea of what is needed to match .NET Core compatibility :)
Leodagan
Developer

Return to “%s” Other Discussion