Good old PvP Servers?

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Good old PvP Servers?

Postby xav92 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi,

I'm just wondering where all the good old PvP Servers are... Like Cecias, Digital Revert PvP, Darkside PvP or whatever u wanna call it, just insta 50 4L0 and 6x RPS - was so fun always!

Any Team has a plan on creating such a server?

greetz xav
xav92
DOL Guest

Re: Good old PvP Servers?

Postby geshi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Sadly the community always kills those types of servers so you don't see that many of them nowadays.
geshi
Contributor

Postby dargon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:00 pm

In my opinion whenever anything is instant, it draws the hackers, and trolls, which generally kills the server.

not to mention most NOT all but most i50 servers are made by the younger people (yes im young but i hate I50s) which normally leads to modding their play toons, and not fixing bugs.
Mannik: Admin of Forsaken Worlds Reborn
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby Tralon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:07 pm

no i think the problem is like geshi said the community, on every pvp server you see flame or qq, like omg bastar*** pu** and this words...

and yes many people on instant server starting to hack or other stuff, abuse bugs and so on.

But u can try to open a pvp server i can tell you in 2 weeks u have no players anymore
(x)====|X|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tralon
DOL Experienced

Postby dargon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:13 pm

You just have to have the right balance of content, I50 is nice for some, but maybe keep an PvE leveling option in mind, Instant loot is good, but i wouldnt stat cap instant loot, free RPs good, but dont give them any higher than RR3 or RR4, then you also have to keep up with the bugs, and keep an eye out for the trolls (not rock trolls the internet trolls) and hackers/abusers
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby geshi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm

In my opinion whenever anything is instant, it draws the hackers, and trolls, which generally kills the server.

not to mention most NOT all but most i50 servers are made by the younger people (yes im young but i hate I50s) which normally leads to modding their play toons, and not fixing bugs.
Hackers don't seem to be a big problem on shards anymore, I guess they got bored.. the community is full of trolls though, they're on every server sadly.

The whole modding thing is funny, people would be surprised by how rarely it actually happens. People just use it as an excuse when someone who knows more about the server kills them which is understandable I suppose. If you listen to players as a GM about people being modded then everyone apart from them is modded :( the public DB has many bugged items which make players insanely strong.
geshi
Contributor

Postby bryon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:44 pm

PvP on dol always just ends up being 3 players in the middle of a town with no one to fight.
Project Silodaira -
Ports and Jump points √
Ladder √
Dungeons √
Zone Population ~
bryon
DOL Expert

Postby dargon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:41 pm

Actually i had to remove a GM on my server a while back for modding his friends and self
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby bryon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:00 pm

I think the majority of /player is not really a GM tool. There really isn't any reason to give a player anything unless it is an admin who is testing.
Project Silodaira -
Ports and Jump points √
Ladder √
Dungeons √
Zone Population ~
bryon
DOL Expert

Postby dargon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:03 pm

Thats true but it can be modded with
/item procrate 100
/item proc 4887

you now have a weapon/armor that heals you to 100% every time it hits or is hit.

same can also be used to summon pets, DD, PBAOE... any spell.. 100% rate = doom

Don't get me wrong, modding isn't as prevalent as it used to be, but it still happens
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby bryon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:36 pm

Does sound like fun though. I liked that XPVP server a couple years ago. Where you could make any kind of item do any thing with any kind of spec with any class. It was sick.
Project Silodaira -
Ports and Jump points √
Ladder √
Dungeons √
Zone Population ~
bryon
DOL Expert

Postby xav92 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 pm

well i think a good pvp option is to have insta level 20 and like 5x xp 6x rp 3x bp .... so people have to level a little to get a 50. toon equipping it with gear etc. i remember there were lots of hackers and bugusers on such servers but on serveral there were good gm's banning these guys quickly...
xav92
DOL Guest

Postby dargon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:12 am

im currently working on a custon PvP shard working on balancing classes anf adding customs atm i lost all my work in a harddrive failure (forgot what a backup was) but im getting close to getting it working good
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby xav92 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 am

Any plans on lunching date for the server dargon? :)
xav92
DOL Guest

Postby geshi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:58 pm

well i think a good pvp option is to have insta level 20 and like 5x xp 6x rp 3x bp .... so people have to level a little to get a 50. toon equipping it with gear etc. i remember there were lots of hackers and bugusers on such servers but on serveral there were good gm's banning these guys quickly...
The sad thing is you can't afford to ban "bug abusers" on an i50 PvP anymore since you're lucky to get 50/60 players now, if you ban someone who plays 6hours+ a day you'll lose a pretty important player and his friends will also quit the server.. before you know it you're left with 20 players.

Yeah you could have leveling but you'd need even more players, an i50 pvp requires about 30-40 people to be playable so if it had 5x XP leveling it would need about 150..
geshi
Contributor

Return to “%s” General