DAoC and Unreal 4

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

DAoC and Unreal 4

Postby Aceof5pades » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Yesterday, i was messing around with nifskope. I exported a drake arborist as a .dae and textured him in blender with HD textures found on google images then exported it as a .fbx format. Used a custom rigging system and animated it to use basic locomotion(like idle, walk, run and jump), then imported it into unreal4. Made the materials with the UVmaps and textures. The vertices and triangles are low meaning poor/low quality model. If hammerpoint was smart, they would make a mobile game with unreal4 using the same models as daoc just make it a top down game like diablo but as a mobile game. Just wondering if anyone messed around with nifskope and blender and if this is in anyway illegal, besides commercially selling a game with DAoCs work. Thats obviously illegal lmao. Learning purposes only of course.
Attachments
unrealscreenshot.jpg
unrealscreenshot.jpg (219.1 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Need something built? Msg me on twitter
github.com/BifrostTitan
twitter.com/BifrostTitan
Aceof5pades
DOL Guest

Re: DAoC and Unreal 4

Postby Graveen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:05 am

Cool stuff ! :)
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Leodagan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:54 am

Great Job !

DAOC Client is really aging, it's fun to see any kind of evolution around game engine or graphics :)

There was some tryout from another modder that imported DAOC Terrains / Meshes in CryEngine

http://mharjula.blogspot.fr/
Just wondering if anyone messed around with nifskope and blender and if this is in anyway illegal, besides commercially selling a game with DAoCs work. Thats obviously illegal lmao. Learning purposes only of course.
In most country game assets are protected by copyright/intellectual property...

But in most country there are exceptions for research purpose, educational purpose etc !

So as long as you're not distributing your derivative work you're in grey area ;)

If you would like to distribute an alternative game engine you should not distribute assets with it and give some scripts/softwares that can work directly from existing game assets, this way each DAOC owner will have to convert/compile its own assets from original assets and you "personally" won't be breaking any copyrights !

But you shouldn't care about laws as long as you're trying to learn some tools, or improving your skills :D

Keep up the good work !
Leodagan
Developer

Postby Aceof5pades » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:07 pm

So if i were to make a DAoC top down game, i could only sell it if the assets werent included like (Must have full client of DAoC inorder to play) kind of setup?

&

This is the model without locomotion and with original textures. Im working on changing world objects and implementing completely custom assets into daoc. Gonna try importing a gun as crossbow. Keep the crossbow rig but just replace the mesh with a sniper. or modify a zone asset so parts of aerus city is floating in camelot hills. Take RPing to a whole new level lmao
Attachments
unrealpic.jpg
unrealpic.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
github.com/BifrostTitan
twitter.com/BifrostTitan
Aceof5pades
DOL Guest

Postby Graveen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:25 pm

I can remember Valley of Neustria. Basically i was really interested in the code of the game simply to make a tool able to render models in the proper way, with skeletons and textures (this is actually something i was never able to do with nifskope). The goal is to create a library of DAoC assets.

Sadly, the developper is not ok to free the code. This game reuses the whole DAoC stuff (maps, models, anims) to an hack and slash like game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4-IGW4SCo
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Aceof5pades » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:51 am

Been looking all over for a copy of gamebryo or a framework that can let me edit/render the maps via viewport. I ran into a old topic on these forums about valley of neustria and I tested it. I think it was made with gamebryo or a old version of netimmerse, he cant release the code cause he doesnt got it or he doesnt want people having an expensive program. Which he could of bought. indie price is $2000.
github.com/BifrostTitan
twitter.com/BifrostTitan
Aceof5pades
DOL Guest

Postby Graveen » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:27 am

He does not want to share the code, i asked him directly. The interesting part for me was the model viewer, and the way he rendered the models with skeletal and with anims.
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby HunabKu » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:40 am

I asked too :p.
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer

Postby Dinberg » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 pm

It's quite funny this has come up, I was recently discussing exactly this with a few others. I'll post progress if/when we have it.
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby Aceof5pades » Mon May 04, 2015 11:51 am

I have successfully added a assault rifle as a crossbow. I kept the sockets( idle, held & spell) and just replaced the mesh. Now im working on adding custom melee weapons like skyrim swords or modern melee weapons. We even aloud to mod the daoc client to suit our server?
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
github.com/BifrostTitan
twitter.com/BifrostTitan
Aceof5pades
DOL Guest

Postby silakka » Sun May 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Cool! If experimenting with NIF:s please check what textures are actually working in DAoC .. I mean even with default models would be much better if get i.e. reflection/bump textures working.
silakka
DOL Novice

Return to “%s” General