new on dol... modding zones

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

new on dol... modding zones

Postby asa » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi,

I'm new on dol :)

I'm trying to create something similar to daoc but smaller ( Stupid NF...), but I cannot understand how jumppoint works. Or better, I get the server side, but I'm completely missing how the client determine which JP ID send.

Any suggest to where I can begin to look at? My idea is to work with latest path 1.117

thanks!
asa
DOL Guest

Re: new on dol... modding zones

Postby HunabKu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:28 am

Hi and welcome!
Jumpoint use client side ids. Dol use zonepoint table to set where player is ported.
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer

Re: new on dol... modding zones

Postby Leodagan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 am

Jump Points ID are Hardcoded in Client Maps, when your player run through a "Jump" area it sends the ID to Server

If you can open client file MPK (I don't remember which one) you can find a CSV file listing Jump point ID with their Coordinates on Map.

The client use this file to know when you walk in a "Jump" Area, you can still use "server-side" Area to decide to teleport a player going through some specific coordinate, but be careful there is a 2 seconds lag on server Area Check, a player running fast enough could completely go through an Area without ever being registered "entering" or "leaving" this Area... (this can't happen with Client-Side Jump Points)

If you don't want a Client-side Jump point to Teleport Anywhere you should be able to remove all records of this Jump Point ID in server database, and no teleport will be triggered when client send a Jump packet... (but it can trigger a lot of Warning in Server Log from memory...)
Leodagan
Developer

Return to “%s” General