Hello!

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Hello!

Postby Scootske » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi DOL community! I've been lurking around these forums for about a week now and must say I'm very interested in the project. So, I figured I'd pop my head up to say hello, share a bit about my background and why... and share my appreciation for what you all do. :D

So I studied C++ for a couple years as part of a special technical curriculum in high school back in 2002 time frame. I had only begun to grasp some intermediate level concepts and data structures before I graduated and abruptly stopped programming. This was mostly because Visual Studio wasn't free then, and I was too naive to Linux and the concept of open source IDEs at the time. Fast-forward to today, I'm a Systems Engineer, I currently dabble in some intermediate-level PowerShell scripting that incorporates .NET elements, but have always really wanted to give programming another deep dive. So I picked up a book on C# a couple months ago and so far I'm pretty hooked.

The book I'm reading is very good at explaining concepts but doesn't provide much in the way of examples and contains ZERO exercises. So I started crawling the interwebs looking for a decently sized C# project that would help put some applicable perspective to the concepts as I learn them. I'm a gamer and have always enjoyed MMOs so the various emulators in the open source community were top choice but I was finding that most of them are written in C++ which I'm not quite ready to cross-train into yet (I want to build a good C# foundation first). I was getting discouraged until ... I found DOL 8) . Although I never actually played DAoC, many of my friends had back in the day and I still hear tales of epic RvR battles. Needless to say finding this project was striking gold. I'm pretty excited not only to experience DAoC for the first time, but perhaps more so the ability to pop open the hood, analyze the code base, and learn about the things you guys have accomplished here.

I have no idea if I'll ever gain the skills necessary to contribute to the project but at a minimum I wanted to express my deepest thanks to everything you guys have done over the years. Very glad also to see the recent chatter around the forums and that development, regardless of pacing, is continuing. I look forward to chatting with you guys more and I hope you don't mind me picking brains if I have questions that can't be answered through existing posts and forum searches.

Keep up the great work!

-Scoot
Scootske
DOL Guest

Re: Hello!

Postby Leodagan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Hello and Welcome around the DOL project ;)
Leodagan
Developer

Re: Hello!

Postby HunabKu » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Greetings, glad you joined the family.
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer