Repercussions of Uthgard's classic patch for other servers

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Repercussions of Uthgard's classic patch for other servers

Postby GeshQ » Wed May 18, 2016 2:17 am

Hey guys, I haven't been around in a while, I hope everyone's well.

Uthgard now patches their players clients to enhance their players classic experience by doing things such as using the old Mularn, Cotswold and Mag Mell which are extremely different from the "new ones". They've also changed the Portal keeps of each realm and removed the SI portals from Cotswold/Mularn/Mag Mell etc.

They recommend to their players that they use a different client for their server but I really don't think many people who already play other servers are going to do that. This is what Cotswold looks like with the Uthgard patch on a fresh server using the public database Image and this is what Castle Sauvage looks like Image .

As of right now this is a pretty large issue to anyone who wishes to create a server which uses any of the classic zones as any players which play using the Uthgard patch are going to have issues with mobs/npcs being all over the place and maybe under floors/in walls etc. It's a huge deal if anyone wants to create a PvP server as you'll literally have people floating in the sky and running through walls as if they're hacking.

Is it possible that we could get DAoC Portal to remove the Uthgard patch upon connecting to a server which isn't Uthgard?

Much love to the Uthgard guys btw, they've done an amazing job. Hopefully this can be resolved :)
GeshQ
DOL Guest

Re: Repercussions of Uthgard's classic patch for other serve

Postby HunabKu » Wed May 18, 2016 6:53 am

Hi GeshQ.
Technicaly, it's possible to create a return-patch but i need the uthgard patch source to do this, to the wise.
So the only way is to redownload the client at this moment.

- For a 1.109c ready French client, download here.
- For a 1.109c ready US client, download here.
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer

Postby Blue » Wed May 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Should be quite clear from FAQ and warnings in the HowTo that there will be problems if its not a separate installation.

https://uthgard.org/howto#2

I have no real idea how a server could detect such a mispatched client (maybe find a position which is impossible to reach but if reached brings up a popup?). Best is to recommend to players right on connecting to use a separate installation directory for that server.
ex DOL Lead Developer
Blue
Uthgard Admin

Postby GeshQ » Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 pm

It's pretty clear yeah, but sadly there's still going to be quite a few players trying to connect to other servers with the patched client.

There's also similar problems with New Frontiers, since the terrain has been changed on live a lot in the last few years so a lot of players will have the new terrain and others wont. It makes using NF on a server pretty impossible as there's no way to know what version of the terrain people have.
GeshQ
DOL Guest

Postby MrPickles » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:42 am

Since this will probably be on 90% of peoples machines, would it be considered a bad practice to just use the same client as Uthgard's going forward for anything new? Say for example someone wanted to make a classic PvP Mordred, wouldn't it make the most sense to just use the same one? Or, someone putting their own spin using the same client? Probably not the best user experience to tell somone to go download uthgard client to make their freeshard work but I would assume it would be on a majority of player's machines already if they enjoy freeshards. Just a hypothetical question, I'm only reviving my sql server integration, I don't have any desire to create freeshard, way too much of a commitment.
MrPickles
DOL Initiate

Postby ontheDOL » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:53 am

the problem is, if there are people connecting with different client models (eg New Cotswold and old Cotswold) you could run through buildings that arent on your screen, but are on the persons screen with the opposite models ( I have tested this)

It works for Uthgard because i assume there is some sort of file integrity check in the client loader ensuring a match
- Unty -
Model Showroom and DOL guides
http://losojos-001-site1.btempurl.com
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:40 am

Wouldnt it be Far Easier to Edit Daoc Portal and an Small Info Window above Account Name:
Be aware to dont use Uthgard Client
on other Servers couse it can occure Errors

Or something like that?
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Return to “%s” General