Basic question youve probably heard before

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Basic question youve probably heard before

Postby TheGofa » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:36 am

Hi everyone,

I have played DAoC since day one and loved every bit of it. Now my young (9) son wants to play with me, a warrior and cleric kinda thing.

Well to cut a long story short, I really dont want to take him onto a live server, but would prefer to "make my own" if thats possible?

What do I need, and how difficult is it to setup a LAN server just for us 2? Would like Shrouded Isles exp too if poss.

Please let me know if we can get this happening so we can play :)

PS. Please no flames im very new to this side of the fence.

Many thanks,
TheGofa (and son).
TheGofa
DOL Visitor

Re: Basic question youve probably heard before

Postby ontheDOL » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:47 pm

the latest server version and PlanarChaos' revised public database can definitely get you started. I've never personally entered a SI zone using one of these databases so im not sure about how populated it is ( mob wise) , and quite possible alot of duplicate mobs, although this can be corrected with a few SQL querys. Also the mobs loot tables generally arent populated, but you can configure the available loot generators, particularly the Storm unique item generator so all mobs can drop loot, to keep it fun.

It's pretty easy to setup, you just need to read all the info in the articles section here on the website and you're on your way!

Another option is to try out Uthgard shard. It's based on classic daoc and no SI implemented yet, but a well configured server. If you're worried about your son interacting with other people on the internet, im sure you can add filters to the chat box so he doesnt see anything.

Anyway welcome and goodluck!
- Unty -
Model Showroom and DOL guides
http://losojos-001-site1.btempurl.com
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby TheGofa » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 pm

If SI is going to be a spanner in the works im not that bothered if its "classic" like Uthgard (which I do play on).

Im not too tech you see, so really looking for a download, install (or unzip), click start server, go to DAoC portal and log in kind of thing (I know thats unrealistic but ill do anything for my boy:) )

Appreciate your help on this ontheDOL,
TheGofa
TheGofa
DOL Visitor

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:23 pm

I need to say i hate what i say next but i would bite the sour apple if you really want with your son and quick setup an classic server but please make sure its not just an temporal wish couse i need combined 72 hours of work into 8 real hours of work
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby ontheDOL » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 pm

getting a server up and running can be quite easy if you read and follow the instructions in the article section....

but configuring a server to be enjoyable to play on... well that might be tricky. The public databases the server uses to load the world isn't that "plug and play" so to speak so the end user experience might not be that great (without configuring and customises)

There is alot of info on this forum, and it can be heaps of fun( and frustration :P ) to play around and modify your own server :)
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby TheGofa » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:27 pm

Question, what do you mean by "configuring a server to be enjoyable to play on... well that might be tricky" and "the end user experience might not be that great", is it not just "DAoC files and stuff work like this"??.

Sorry if I sound dumb, I just need to understand things to help me grasp what im getting into

Again ontheDOL, thanks for your help.

Regards,
TheGofa
TheGofa
DOL Visitor

Postby ontheDOL » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:11 am

to keep it short, the server scripts create the world based on the database. The available public databases have alot of duplicate mobs and other data, and limited loot drops. So how much fun you can have is anyones guess.
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Return to “%s” General