Demands for servers

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Demands for servers

Postby reefcrazed » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Looking at the current server list, all seem vacant except I think it was Uthgard. Why is this? Just thinking out loud here, DAOC was a RvR game, that would mean as far as the players view goes, there is no room for a pure PvE server correct? It looks to me a developer could come in and create something pretty slick for a custom server. Looking at the world and models available, that seems to be the weak spot. Looking through the DAoC npc model list, it looks rather drab and lacking variety...unless I am missing something.
reefcrazed
DOL Apprentice

Re: Demands for servers

Postby ontheDOL » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:51 pm

many custom servers has come and gone, for various reasons. Uthgard has stuck around along time, which i'd say gives people more sense of security. Its also fairly bug free etc which can make things more enjoyable.

As far as customs servers go, someone suggested a DotA style server, which i think sounds pretty sweet! now if only i could code.....
- Unty -
Model Showroom and DOL guides
http://losojos-001-site1.btempurl.com
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:06 am

Looking at the current server list, all seem vacant except I think it was Uthgard. Why is this? Just thinking out loud here, DAOC was a RvR game, that would mean as far as the players view goes, there is no room for a pure PvE server correct? It looks to me a developer could come in and create something pretty slick for a custom server. Looking at the world and models available, that seems to be the weak spot. Looking through the DAoC npc model list, it looks rather drab and lacking variety...unless I am missing something.
Its pretty simple most of us started an server couse we missed our favorite server type on list and if you miss something you maybe could do that server ;-)

On other hand i worked 2 years on custom servers but the problem is the custom server admins are often but not allways very focused on the donates.
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby reefcrazed » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Donates?
reefcrazed
DOL Apprentice

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 pm

If you open a server you have to pay an rent much server have an webpage for their server with an donation button where players cann ''donate'' (tip an small small amout of money to keep the server alive)
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby reefcrazed » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:12 pm

I have never, ever asked for donations on any server I have run before. I just pay for everything myself.
reefcrazed
DOL Apprentice

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Oh haha i just answered and pointed this and that nothing of that had something to do with you
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby tegstewart » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm a purely PVE guy, and I run my own local server to scratch that itch. It's possible that PVE folks tend to do that rather than looking for a PVE server.
tegstewart
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:45 am

Storm D2 Shard is Pve
Realm of Darkness i were admin/leader 1 year and it was Pve 90% rvr 10% (custom)
Dragonhunters was basicly 100% pve
Down of Light was an custom 90% pve 10% rvr server
Antebellum was an custom 80% pve 20% rvr server
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby reefcrazed » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Pulling this back to the top, hope you do not mind a 1yr+ reply.

These servers that had more PvE than RvR, did they have any population?
reefcrazed
DOL Apprentice

Postby dargon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:54 pm

I tend to work on PvE custom shards. In fact i've been working on an extensivly custom shard, sadly I got caught up in a side project, then went MIA to get accustomed to my new job, once we get this project to a good point, ill most likely work on my pve shard again.
Mannik: Admin of Forsaken Worlds Reborn
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby Dinberg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 pm

I've recently started work on a custom PVE server. It's a side project to keep me sane while I write my thesis. Maybe I will finish it this time!
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby dargon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:13 am

hey Dingy, i love custom pve, if you wanta partner i'd love to work with ya!
Mannik: Admin of Forsaken Worlds Reborn
dargon
DOL Follower

Postby tegstewart » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Uthgard also meets a very specific niche that people demanded of Mythic ever since TOA came out, but which Mythic never did; classic servers.

I'm seeing a whopping 14 people on Gaheris live right now. Meanwhile, Uthgard has 782 people on it. That's pretty telling.

It doesn't help that I've noticed and reported bugs to Broadsword that I later learned online have been a problem for several years without being fixed despite being dirt simple issues.
tegstewart
Developer

Postby Sand » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:23 am

Uthgard also meets a very specific niche that people demanded of Mythic ever since TOA came out, but which Mythic never did; classic servers.

I'm seeing a whopping 14 people on Gaheris live right now. Meanwhile, Uthgard has 782 people on it. That's pretty telling.
This was designed to be a RVR game but how many LIVE players on normal servers when gaheris had 14?

At peak of player base in 2005 or so Gaheris was at most 10% of overall population. It had comparable population to normal servers but there was a dozen or so of them.

But then game population started to drop off and had to start clustering normal servers and at times Gaheris population was higher than whole clusters.

Finally they had to resort to ONE normal server essentially. Yes there is Ywain 1-10 but they all share one RVR because the population has dropped so bad. Gaheris started to suffer too but not as badly at least until they did things like make the whole mls practically solable (I did solo ML3.10 with a friar, also did it nearly solo with a cleric, mind you a cleric that already had ml3 so had her font that helped with encounter). This sort of thing is what caused me and one of the servers main raid leaders quit live because that was a big part of game enjoyment for us. So not only were they killing the normal servers they were killing pve and all populations suffered so you are left with times when you have a measly 14 players on.

Even so here is pop info from from http://daoc.gamescape.com/Reports/Population.aspx that gives idea of relative population of normal versus gaheris. Note this is a "recent" for time frame, which I suspect be a days worth of logins.

Rank Server Population
1 Ywain1 870
2 Gaheris 472
3 Ywain5 159
4 Ywain2 155
5 Ywain3 120
6 Ywain10 65
7 Ywain7 63
8 Ywain6 55
9 Ywain4 51
10 Ywain8 48
11 Ywain9 35