Starting up

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Starting up

Postby Atarian » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:31 am

Hi All

I know this has GOT to have been asked before, and yes i have used the search feature, but i am very confused.

for starters there seems to be 2 areas, sourceforge and git. One place says they are moving to git,the other then mentions sourceforge?

I've been out of programming for a while,i think my last full project was around 2000 using machine code (asm), so its like starting afresh.

I have not found a clear guide in setting a server up. The ones i have found are all old. I know you have to have server, client and some sort of database. Tome first things first, where do i get the the basics sorted? do i have to compile everything myself, or is there a compiled binary? it would be nice to able to get a server running and then tinker/compile, as you do.

Client side is still confusing, there is the portal and then there is a standalone starter not using the portal and nowhere can i find info on setting ip addresses on the client.

What i need is how to set up a server and what do i need, basics on how to do it and the confusion with srougeforce and git sorted as i then work out how to use "git"or "svn"!

Steve
Atarian
DOL Initiate

Re: Starting up

Postby Graveen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Sourceforge contains only old code, we have moved to github now.

Git is aVCS type, we could have used Git on Sourceforge... :D

Server = Dawn of light
Database = datas used by the server (DOL).
Client = your DAoC client (what you are installing)
Portal = a way to make your client connects to a targetted server (because basically, DAoC client points to Mythic - now Broadsword - servers. And there are security options we must deal with).

DOL code is C#, Object oriented programming.

There is a compiled binary - but rather old (DOLSetup.exe, embedding Database + Server). You have fresh builds on Github (release section) but you have to install MariaDB database engine and import datas.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby ontheDOL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:02 pm

the guides are a bit conflicting yes, could use an update

here is a quick nasty guide.

Download client from daoc website
Download 1.109 game.dll from one of the links here on the forum (search it) replace the game.dll in daoc folder with this one.
download daoc portal from here. setup and set the game directory for daoc client
download latest public database from database releasze forum here. name is Ginnaguabusb 1.2 or somethen like that.
download a release version of DOL for your platform https://github.com/Dawn-of-Light/DOLSha ... 1.9.7.3606 extract it where ever you want
download uniserver http://www.uniformserver.com/ this is your mySQL server. Install and setup mySQL username and password. then Start mySQl server.
download heidiSQL, install, enter the username and password you chose above. Import the database you downloaded earlier.

once all that is done, double click DOLconfig in the dolsharp release you downloaded earlier. click database tab. click database type tab, select mySQL. enter the username and password for mySQL server. test connection, success? save and exit

double click dolserver.exe , let it do its thing, will take some time. When it is done, and says ready for game connections, go back to daoc portal.

Click custom shard add, right click add new server, default is localhost so you should be good. Click on the new entry, and enter a username and password in tabs to the right. double click server. If all is good, should connect and you can create a new character. Enter game. Now if you want this account to have admin rights, goto your database in heidiSQl, goto the Database (dol) Goto the accounts table, look for privilages column, change it from 1 to 3 on the account name you just created.
Exit game and reload server, This account now has admin privilages. Warning, mobs cannot attack you on an admin account.

Nasty guide I dont care for formatting but follow it \and you should be good
- Unty -
Model Showroom and DOL guides
http://losojos-001-site1.btempurl.com
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Ahm bit nasty guide yes i allready posted an similar guide here:
http://www.dolserver.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22932
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby ontheDOL » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:44 am

Thats not a bad guide, although if it was me, I would point people to the official DOL repo for the download, and not Leodagan's fork. And i would tell them to download an already compiled version as not many people who want to experiment with DOL will want to edit core scripts or need to (sharpdevelop part)..
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby Leodagan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:56 am

The best link for Release is : https://github.com/Dawn-of-Light/DOLSha ... ses/latest

And yes my fork shouldn't be used, there isn't autobuild binaries there and it's not always up to date apart from when I'm creating a new branch...
Leodagan
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Right noticed to late it was the fork^^
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby Atarian » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks everyone you helped a lot.

Still working through some things. I used the following plan.

Got it working on host computer, then moved it out to lan and then through a proxy. Then moved sortijng problems out.

The first one that got me for ages was adding plvl 2, as with that standalone thing it never showed the database. So i downloaded latest mysql file and installed the server part.m That enabled me to add another user beside root and that sorted that out.

What i may do is after i have got the basics sorted, do a quickie, i did this years ago with lomcn to help people set up legend of mir servers.

The problem i came across, is that all of a sudden i am in mouse look mode and cannot get out of it, fine on one machine and not on the other. so trying to reinstall and sort that out before i move on.

Have a problem with the portal installation on the windoze 10 machine, it errors after installation on the update part and then i cannot do anything with it.

Right client has finished updating time to try again.

Steve
Atarian
DOL Initiate

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:18 am

To remove the mouselook hit M ingame (outside of an chat)
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby ontheDOL » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:26 pm

the mousemode is a bug thats been with daoc client since almost release hehe, alt-tab out and back in fixes it.
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Depending on Issue on of both can fix it^^
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby Marko » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:49 pm

So it's been a year since I've been really working with DOL, so thought I would get the latest version and see what it was like. Getting around 30 or so compile errors on the source listed above, mainly namespace errors due to (I think) inability to find particular 'assemblies' specifically: log4net, ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib, MySql.Data, and System.Data.SQLite. Never really had this problem before, so I'm not sure what's up. Any ideas, I'm thinking I must be missing a library or something. I'm on Win10, using SharpDevelop 5.1 targeting C# 5 and .NET 4.5.1

I've also got the several .NET versions installed, and Visual Studio, but maybe I'm missing some other dependency? Like I said earlier though, I've downloaded and compiled the source many times before without any issues, but I also know a ton of changes have taken place over the last year... TIA! Maybe I should create a new thread? Feel free to move to a new one
Marko
DOL Novice

Postby ontheDOL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Looks like you're missing all the packages you mentioned (log4net icsharpcode etc)
I tried to help you via the forum chat down below but you didnt reply /shrug
you can add them manually through sharpdevelop by clicking "project -> manage packages"

And this goes for anyone, feel free to start a topic if you cannot seem to find a solution, and also feel free to message other users in the instant chat down bottom right! I know at least myself and PlanarChaos will try and help you if we are available and it can save a lot of back and forth in forum posts
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby Marko » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Yup, that's what I had to do. Eventually I found where it's documented on GitHub that we now have that addistional step using Nuget to get the latest packages. Thanks for the reply, I need to update that step in my own documentation :) I think I actually used "Restore Packages" instead of "Manage Packages" though...
Marko
DOL Novice

Return to “%s” General