Tools for DOL

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Tools for DOL

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Tue May 23, 2017 1:51 am

First of all i want say everyone can use the tools he/she prefer but i want let you guys know what we xpierinced in Public DB team:

Database:
We started with Heidisql (couse its very nice for start) but that programm tends to bug around like hell couse not supported for over 4 years. Then i tried Navicat and it miss alot of features so i stopped work with it. Then my friend Xanxicar brought up the idea of MYSQL Workbench and it fit every need well and never bug so far (i use it now for 2 weeks and as i used heidisql 2 weeks it allready crashed 8 times)
Database Manager:
I started Years ago with Mysql but it lead into endless problems and i tested a long list but then i picked mariadb and issues went away.

Code:
I really prefer Sharpdevelope but its an weak programm i had to face in the last weeks and my friend Xanxicar told me to use Visual Studios and what can i say it did the job.

(this thread is not meant to say something is bad or good its just to share expirience so we can find best tools for all and if we all use the same at end the converting of database n such arent problems in future for example)
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Re: Tools for DOL

Postby HunabKu » Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 am

Here is my experience :

Database :
  • I personaly use HeidiSQL. Open source, 1 update each day or almost, Wine-able (can be 'emulated' on Wine for Linux and MacOS), Developers very listening.
    It only stop responding (not crash) on linux with big files.
    So for big files i use mysql command line.
    Linux Importing example :
    Code: Select all
    mysql -u root -pPassword -b dol < /home/hunabku/dol.sql
    Linux Exporting example :
    Code: Select all
    mysql -u root -pPassword -b dol > /home/hunabku/dol.sql
    Always download the latest heidisql nightly build (32+64bit installer). It will ask you each time new nighly update is ready to autoinstall.
  • Navicat make some strong errors on past for me and is closed source.
  • MySQL WorkBench is good for MySQL Database Manager but i don't use it. I personaly find it slow and heavy.
Database Manager :
  • For me MariaDB is best on a lot of things. Open source, realy often updated.
  • MySQL is not updated as often as MariaDB.
Code :
  • I personaly use MonoDevelop. Open source, Multi-OS and can dev also in Mono.
  • Visual Studio is clearly the best (developed in parallel with C #) but is heavy, only for Windows and closed source.
  • SharpDevelop is a good tool but not updated quite often to my taste.
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer

Postby Graveen » Tue May 23, 2017 12:33 pm

HeidiSQL not supported for 4 years ? This is a joke i hope :D
You have nightly every week... Only pb with Heidi is the source is in pascal like :D

Database tool:
HeidiSQL is a must have, for me far over Navicat / MySQL Workbench who are fastidious and heavy machines. Navicat is better in database types supported, while MySQL workbench integrates correctly with mysql tool suite (database schema design etc...). But heidisql got a clear interface, quick navigation and is opensource. HeidiSQL supports MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL and SQL server. I don't have any crash with Heidi, and it performs better when importing large mysql dumps than a lot of tools i have tested altough like Hunabku suggests, command line is better for this task.

Database engine:
MariaDB is the natural evolution since Oracle bought Mysql. I personnaly stick to 3 DB engines: MariaDB, PostgreSQL and SQLite. I have not really worked with MongoDB or any no-SQL database.

IDE:
SharpDevelop is doing the job. Similar to HeidiSQL, it hides the (sometimes very big) complexity of Visual Studio and is finally a perfect tool between VS express edition. Sadly SD is no longer maintained. Visual Studio Community is a nearly complete Visual Studio, but is more complex and not lightweigth at all. For business use, i'm using Visual Studio, but i suggest to stick to SD as long as you can. I have few experience with MonoDevelop, but this one is at least working on macOS.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Then i got wrong informations :(
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Return to “%s” General