Plan for DOL

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Postby dokks » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:17 am

Etaew wrote:We really should stop this crap being brought up back again and again, DOL was released under a flawed license, this is not what anyone who has released code to DOL thought it was.

I have no problem ignoring the license, legality is out of the window.

People use loopholes to not share any of the work they do, and instead it ties down the team who do develop DOL publicly, lol this isn't how it is intended. Anyone who thinks so can leave this project right now.

Then why was it released under GNU? It seems to me that it would be disrespectful to not only the users, but also the developers that have put in their time, for free, to suddenly say, nope we're taking the source and goodbye.

GNU license simply says that if you distribute, you must share, it's like that for a very real, very important reason. I assure you that if you or some other group DOES decide to violate the license and remove public access, a fork will be swift and sure, yes that's a promise.
dokks
DOL Apprentice

Postby IStandAloneToo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:51 am

Actually that is untrue. I did some research and found that the the developing team (owners of the GPL) si not restricted by the GPL. In fact, it is something that we 'give' to the community. We can decide to not share code at all and that isn't a violation of the GPL. Only when one gets the code from SVN are they under the GPL license.
Ryan
Hi :)
IStandAloneToo
Developer

Postby dokks » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:05 am

Fair enough, however the point is somewhat mute as many have the code and the GPL does stipulate that if a third party distributes it then they must also provide access to the code.

So in essence it's exactly as said above.
dokks
DOL Apprentice

Postby Etaew » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:19 am

You misunderstand, people who run servers aren't distributing, so they are under NO obligation to share any changes they make, that is why it's the wrong license for us.
Retired DOL Enthusiast | Blog
Etaew
Inactive Staff Member

Postby masterfreek64 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:22 pm

Well the problem is that all developers would have to agree to a change. Even if we found a legal loophole through this , it would be unfair towards all these developers to do something to their code without permission. It happened to me personally , I know how it feels.

Well ... If we get all major copyrigth holders to agree , we should switch to AGPL .. as it requires you to share source manipulations...

and also we can force people to switch to upgrades by creating a tool that addresses a known , deep in the core leak , and uses it to hack the server some way ( do not know one , sorry ... I am making athe server , not killing it)

BTW if you look for developers :

I have some time at the moment, and could happily provide a bit of work for ya. I know the source, but my C# isn't the best ... well if you need anything C++ it is much more my thing ... ( like secondary , backend applications ... I always fantasized about clustering and even somehow made it - 2 serverson my localhost, each providing a zone , but I had to bypass logon and authentication to make it work - and some othe stuff)

Contact me on
(my nickname) at hotmail . com on MSN in case you need help , or here. ...

If you need a bit of a portfolio ( I do not believe in such wordplay , but WTH ) : z9.invisionfree.com/OblivionOnline.

I made it alone till release 002 and even make a lot of the stuff now :D
masterfreek64
DOL Acolyte

Postby masterfreek64 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:24 pm

Also , second thing:

I again want to add that we could get people back to our servers, ( and thus give a bit of 'revenge' and ultimately force Uth to cooperate ) by just adding content there (and of course bringing them back up :/ ) ....

Just a little thought ... ( OT , but with a link in my weird big mind) ...

I had already volunteered to make an event quest series, and although not having worked on it for a long time, i made some little things, but I won't say ANYTHING until i didn't manage the big part .
masterfreek64
DOL Acolyte

Postby IStandAloneToo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:30 pm

That's actually what's going on right now. The first official server is up and running. It runs the Official SVN which helps developers and database members more easily contribute to DoL. DoL was way too far behind in the feature category which is the reason why other servers leave it in the trash. We are catching up very quickly!
Ryan
IStandAloneToo
Developer

Postby masterfreek64 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:38 pm

AH ok didn't notice ... Read my core dev posts ...
masterfreek64
DOL Acolyte

Re: Plan for DOL

Postby martainedm2 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Just my 2 cents of questions from the completely illiterate code guy lamen perspective:

Any chance 1) you guys may release DBs that preset to a specific package

i.e. One that includes 4X regens on health, end, power, 4x Exp, etc.?

2) May release or someone may develop an even more user (idiot) friendly in game editor (similar to the one used for creating items, mobs etc) that allows a person to change the above items from within the game itself?

Just my ignorant 2 cents. I do hope I dont offend anyone by this reply. I do know there are alot of folks fed up with the "Live" servers and alot of folks that have a desire to play on a free shard. Some of the current shards out there, while very well done, seem to still include too much emphasis on RVR and epeens. When you keep RVR as a forefront (while it is a good thing that DAOC Has) it breeds competition which breeds hacks, cause for others to say this guy cheats, exploits, knows the site admin and gets free stuff... etc. For my money I love the Oblvious PVE server but I would tone that down a pinch. Probably more like 2X exp and 2X regen rates... but have all the frontiers mobs be worth RPs with a simple (again not knowing code) command line reading all mobs in frontiers are equal to 6X their level in Realm points with the variable that the mob must give Exp in order to give RPs (no grey farming). While the changes I want seem simple to me, I may as well be asking to grant world peace when it comes to me figuring out how to change a server to fit these needs. (Yes I am that code dumb.)

If anyone is pushing along these lines, I would be happy to assist where I can. While I dont know code, etc... I have managed to successfully create my own server (with lots of help from yall) and have it up and running with over 15 connections. So I figure if I can at least do that, I migth be able to help someone who is thinking along the same lines I am for a server as a GM or what not.
martainedm2
DOL Visitor

Postby Aredhel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:30 pm

martainedm2 wrote:Just my 2 cents of questions from the completely illiterate code guy lamen perspective:

Any chance 1) you guys may release DBs that preset to a specific package

i.e. One that includes 4X regens on health, end, power, 4x Exp, etc.?

2) May release or someone may develop an even more user (idiot) friendly in game editor (similar to the one used for creating items, mobs etc) that allows a person to change the above items from within the game itself?

Just my ignorant 2 cents. I do hope I dont offend anyone by this reply. I do know there are alot of folks fed up with the "Live" servers and alot of folks that have a desire to play on a free shard. Some of the current shards out there, while very well done, seem to still include too much emphasis on RVR and epeens. When you keep RVR as a forefront (while it is a good thing that DAOC Has) it breeds competition which breeds hacks, cause for others to say this guy cheats, exploits, knows the site admin and gets free stuff... etc. For my money I love the Oblvious PVE server but I would tone that down a pinch. Probably more like 2X exp and 2X regen rates... but have all the frontiers mobs be worth RPs with a simple (again not knowing code) command line reading all mobs in frontiers are equal to 6X their level in Realm points with the variable that the mob must give Exp in order to give RPs (no grey farming). While the changes I want seem simple to me, I may as well be asking to grant world peace when it comes to me figuring out how to change a server to fit these needs. (Yes I am that code dumb.)

If anyone is pushing along these lines, I would be happy to assist where I can. While I dont know code, etc... I have managed to successfully create my own server (with lots of help from yall) and have it up and running with over 15 connections. So I figure if I can at least do that, I migth be able to help someone who is thinking along the same lines I am for a server as a GM or what not.

I'm pushing for a more viable PvE DoL, hence dragons, necromancer (not really a great RvR class is it) and now even artifacts. Now you might say, hey artifacts make sense for RvR only, but matter of fact, if you stick to a live like implementation (forget about the bounty merchants for a moment) then suddenly you have lots of PvE, because you need to defeat bosses, farm scrolls and level your artifacts. As a side effect, we get people into Atlantis again, which at the moment is as dead as it gets.
Aredhel
Inactive Staff Member

Postby IStandAloneToo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:04 am

Aredhel said it perfectly. We are currently putting everything in that makes PvE decently fun. As for your x4exp, etc all those are editable in the serverproperties table! :) Also, for your idea with more noob friendly tools, those will come later when DoL is actually very live-like :).
Ryan
IStandAloneToo
Developer

Postby martainedm2 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:55 am

Well because of this site... so far as a a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff...

I have a full configured server that is running and has remained stable for almost a week.

Exp is 2X
End/Health/Power regen is 2X

Starting level is 5th with everyone receiving 100 gold also at start.

Cat classes are /20 for 50s

Only thing remaining to be done is making mobs worth RPs... waiting for some help on that still...

But I am making progress.
martainedm2
DOL Visitor

Postby Graveen » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:17 pm

You have to modify AbstractServerRules.cs, method OnNPCKilled() to assign mob worth rps.

gl & hf.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby malbolger » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Why not do what the boys over at ascent (wow emulator) have done? update the license to the "Affero General Public License".

Link to full license: http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/agpl-3.0.html

Link to a quick description: http://www.ascentemu.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11575

I think this would solve your license problems; if not, I tried.
malbolger
DOL Visitor

Postby Reaku » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:17 pm

Hearing the word "Binary" scares me cause everything I do with DOL is original stuff or at least tries to be :) ... (As far from live-like as possible) and with just binaries I can no longer create my original stuff. Like on Anarchy where I modified the keep system so I could spawn guards in Prydwen Keep and camelot and all over the place and it could be captured by guilds... Its not like even if i gave it to DOL they would use it cause they would have no use for it. I HATE creating stuff that has already been created. (I really don't like paintings but as an example...) Its like There is an original painting and then there are the copies. What is worth more? If I create something that has already been created ML's or CL's and such Its worthless to me because It has already been done. : :(
http://Reaku.tripod.com
New VWH Project (DoL Mod)

Inzane says: Love laptops...
Inzane says: Taking a dump atm...
Inzane says: It's Uber! ;D
Reaku
DOL Initiate

Return to “%s” General