Quickcast

A place to submit .patch fixes for the DOL SVN

Moderator: Developer Team

Re: Quickcast

Postby stephenxpimentel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:09 pm

Tolakram wrote:Look around the area where i changed this code when the SVN commit post comes up.

Spell handler is a travesty and a great example of what happens when too many people who don't care about the big picture (and I'm being kind here) start mucking with the code.

my spell handler changes that i've committed aren't mucky imo! ;)
Lets have some fun.
stephenxpimentel
Contributor

Postby Sand » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:43 am

Yes the quickcast name is somewhat deceiving as main purpose is to have it not interupt but if the cast time was something fixed like 2 seconds, then originally it would of made pretty much all spells cast faster but post TOA that changed, 2.6 second were easily cast in less than 2 seconds and even up to 3 seconds, it be only higher casts were it allowed you to cast faster which are fairly uncommon.

Graveen's comments do not contradict the use of 2seconds because he is talking about 2.6 second spells taking longer, because 2 seconds is longer than what it casts with decent dex/cast speed bonuses. Even 3 second cast spells will be less than 2 seconds with sufficient dex/cast speed. Spell caps are like 60% or 40% of delve I believe, can't recall which so at 60%, 3 seconds at cap would be 1.8 and plenty of people reach that. It is only casts over 3 seconds, and/or those with poor dex where 2 seconds would be faster.

So currently, post toa, the name of the ability is deceiving as it would not normally make spells cast faster so it's main purpose is to not interupt, but that doesn't mean it makes them cast longer in all cases by design as would be the case if the design were to use unmodified cast time.

However, if concensus's believes otherwise, go ahead and keep the change but I personally will take more convincing that it simply uses the unmodified cast speed value.

Tola what spells did you test with? To support use of unmodified cast, you would want to use high cast time spells to really notice if there is a difference. The main one that sticks in my mind is animist with 5 second cast on the turrets as it's playing that class quite a bit where quickcast often saved my butt that makes it hard for me to believe that the ability uses unmodified cast times.

A brief websearch on quickcast only found the following article that mentions it's cast time, and while I have no clue reliability of the person's info, so just one more thought on subject.
http://vnboards.ign.com/ywain/b23441/11 ... 112019428/
Sand
Server Team

Postby Phen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:26 am

3) What's quickcast?

It lets you cast a spell while being interrupted. It's on a 30 second timer. While quickcast will be faster than your normal casting if you are unbuffed, it will actually cast slower than your normal spells if you have really good buffs.
A quickcasted spell cost 2x as much power as a normal spell though so don't use it often. One important thing about quickcast is that is you only have 1 power left, you can still quickcast a spell that cost 26 power to cast (Meaning
quickcast lets you -borrow- power to cast a spell if you don't have the power, as long as you're not totally empty)

http://camelotvault.ign.com/?dir=guides ... ent=theurg

Q: Can �quick cast� be changed to an instant cast ability?

A: Well, quick cast is not a fully descriptive name � it really means �twice as quick as the spell says.�

Making QC into an �instant� effect would have a lot of balance implications, most of them bad. Very, very bad.

http://www.camelotherald.com/news/news_ ... oryid=1377

Q: Last week, you answered a question about Quick Cast, and your answer was bad.

A: You�re right. The answer I should have given was that Quick Cast reduces the time needed to cast to a flat two seconds, and that a spell that has been quick casted cannot be interrupted. I have been told that the latter is not always the case. If you have been interrupted while quick casting, please report it, and feel free to send me a screenshot or a log.

http://www.camelotherald.com/news/news_ ... oryid=1383

Please fix Quickcast (this is for QC only not FP)
Phen
Storm GM

Yahoo Messenger: KerzedSoul@yahoo.com

Postby Sand » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:28 am

No surprise mythic can't keep it straight on how it works but the first answer is consistent with both of the grabbag answers and final answer sounds pretty definitive to me.

We were using flat 2 seconds, which for most part means spells for decently templated/buffed players one is casting faster without it but when not you will see faster cast. Definitely it enough to indictate that what we currently have is wrong and what we had before was most likely correct.
Sand
Server Team

Postby Tolakram » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:15 am

Ha.

I'll change it back.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Phen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Sweet :)
I just want to say it took me 2 hours of googling for quickcast+daoc+everything else I could think of to find info. In the end a simple search for Quick Cast on the camelot herald lead me to those grab bags.
Phen
Storm GM

Yahoo Messenger: KerzedSoul@yahoo.com

Postby stephenxpimentel » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:47 pm

haha, i guess i can see how i would think of it like that.. i played an enchanter and was 100% always buffed by my cleric stuck on me, and fully templated. so PBAoE seemed to cast VERY slow, but if they say thats how it works then thats how i think we should have it. Nice investigating :)
Lets have some fun.
stephenxpimentel
Contributor

Postby Sand » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:27 pm

When I searched for quickcast on herald I didn't put the space in it as I thought ability generally didn't have one. Good job Phen for your diligence to find it.
Sand
Server Team

Return to “%s” DOL Code Contributions