Quickcast

A place to submit .patch fixes for the DOL SVN

Moderator: Developer Team

Quickcast

Postby geshi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Hey again :D

I noticed this in SpellHandler.cs in the method "CalculateCastingTime()"..
Code: Select all
         if (Caster.EffectList.GetOfType(typeof(QuickCastEffect)) != null)
         {
            return 2000; //always 2 sec
         }

I'm pretty sure that on live it is not 2 seconds, that would make quite a few spells faster to cast while using Quickcast. Someone told me its 5 seconds on live but I have not found any proof, does anyone know?
geshi
Contributor

Re: Quickcast

Postby Tolakram » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Quick cast, last I checked, made all cast times 2 seconds.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby stephenxpimentel » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 pm

i thought it just made it the spells normal cast speed, not affected by dex or casting speed bonuses... i could be wrong but thats how i remember it.
Lets have some fun.
stephenxpimentel
Contributor

Postby Sand » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:21 am

Mythic certainly has made some wierd design decisions but ability is called quickcast, I don't think they would make spells take longer to cast. Yes main point is that it is uniteruptable but at worse they stick to normal cast times rather some number like 5 seconds which most spells are 3 seconds or less.

It always felt instant or dang close to me. I played an animist with 5 second cast time turrets, I had to quick cast those more than once and pretty sure they weren't usual cast time, so I would say 2 seconds at the most.

This isn't mentioned in mythic's description though, just says it makes spell uninteruptable and power cost is doubled (ie the cost of getting to not be interupted).
Sand
Server Team

Postby stephenxpimentel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:13 am

Sand wrote:Mythic certainly has made some wierd design decisions but ability is called quickcast, I don't think they would make spells take longer to cast. Yes main point is that it is uniteruptable but at worse they stick to normal cast times rather some number like 5 seconds which most spells are 3 seconds or less.

It always felt instant or dang close to me. I played an animist with 5 second cast time turrets, I had to quick cast those more than once and pretty sure they weren't usual cast time, so I would say 2 seconds at the most.

This isn't mentioned in mythic's description though, just says it makes spell uninteruptable and power cost is doubled (ie the cost of getting to not be interupted).

another thing that i noticed on live is it allows ur mana pool to go negative, which it doesn't in DOL code atm.
Lets have some fun.
stephenxpimentel
Contributor

Postby -Shawn- » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:38 am

stephenxpimentel wrote:i thought it just made it the spells normal cast speed, not affected by dex or casting speed bonuses... i could be wrong but thats how i remember it.

this is correct.

All spells that are quickcasted on live are based off of the individual spell cast time therefore it is not affected by dex/casting speed
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14984

Sky is the limit.
-Shawn-
DOL Devotee

Postby Sand » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:42 am

Powerpool go into negative, I think that must be a bug on their side. Client bug or it must be not properly checking if you have mana to cast, possibly only checking if have enough mana for normal cast rather than the double cast.

Personally don't think we should worry about duplicating that particular element.

Shawn and stephen, so do you guys really think quickcast makes the spells take longer to cast than without using the ability? Just doesn't seem right for them to take longer to cast and is not consistent with my experience of using the ability.

I am thinking it might use the normal cast time, then possibly dividing by 2 then also could be a min value of 2seconds on it hence or 2 second code.

That way is everyone is right, just they only have part of the picture.
Sand
Server Team

Postby baradien » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:59 am

just know it should take more power then normall casting.
baradien
Server Team

Postby Graveen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:53 pm

There were a strong discussion on french forums, where qc was slower than 386dex/10%/2/2.6s spells. Then iirc mythic replied QC would better be named uninterruptable cast.

Also you can QC spell even when you are at 1 power. Your power 'll be negative (QC draws 2x mana).

All theses asserts were tested, perhaps fixed now tbh.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby stephenxpimentel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:32 pm

Graveen wrote:There were a strong discussion on french forums, where qc was slower than 386dex/10%/2/2.6s spells. Then iirc mythic replied QC would better be named uninterruptable cast.

Also you can QC spell even when you are at 1 power. Your power 'll be negative (QC draws 2x mana).

All theses asserts were tested, perhaps fixed now tbh.

Yes, this was how i looked at it. normal cast time (not 2 seconds) unaffected by stats/castspeed, double mana, but since it is double mana QC can (possibly) save ur ass because it makes mana for the spell not an equation, as u can go negative. The name "Quickcast" for the skill is really just deceiving, it doesn't make spells cast faster.
Lets have some fun.
stephenxpimentel
Contributor

Postby Graveen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 pm

well, in the early days, at level 33 with green stuff and ofc no ToA, cast a 3.2 spell in 2s was incredibly fast ! :D
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby -Shawn- » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm

Well, I talked to many people that play about this... they all say that quickcast is regular cast speed of that certain spell with out the bonuses ofc... also the x2 mana

Example : On live ML 7 convoker the trap, when you quickcast it on live it takes forever to cast, on portal you can cast it in 2 seconds with quickcast up.

Now, if we said that quickcast made all spells cast faster that would be false, and stephen is right the name is just deceiving....

Sky is the limit.
-Shawn-
DOL Devotee

Postby Tolakram » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm going to change it to be spell cast time instead of 2 seconds. All documents I can find simply mention it allows uninterrupted casts. My casual tests on Pendragon showed about the same cast time as a normal cast, so I'm really not sure, but 2 seconds is most likely more wrong than spell cast time.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby -Shawn- » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:41 pm

cheers : P

Sky is the limit.
-Shawn-
DOL Devotee

Postby Tolakram » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Look around the area where i changed this code when the SVN commit post comes up.

Spell handler is a travesty and a great example of what happens when too many people who don't care about the big picture (and I'm being kind here) start mucking with the code.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Return to “%s” DOL Code Contributions