Serialized values in the database

Discussions on various DOL development features

Moderator: Support Team

Re: Serialized values in the database

Postby Graveen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:29 pm

serialized or not, honestly, just another data structure, it worths a lot. Where it is not coherent is regarding the database engine performances, but life is full of things like this :D

The real question is effectively 'are we able to put support into this ?' :mrgreen:
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Dunnerholl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:27 am

serialized attributes ftw! :)

what does it really matter in the places we use them? its neither a performance issue nor would we gain anything else from putting it to yet another and another and another table.

forget about total normalization, welcome to the real world.

hell, most of dol's tables could be even totally serialized textfiles, cause the server doesnt interact with them at runtime and uses is purely for persistance purposes, saving periodically. just some are really used a lot, for example the merchant lists ^^
Dunnerholl
Developer

Postby tryagain » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:14 am

Oh, believe me when I tell you I live in the real world. Every day.

Mainly I am learning my way around the code base, saw the serialized columns, wished they were regular tables and started hacking on that. It's given me a chance to learn about DOL's database layer and the mapping of classes to database elements. In the end I hope to have a patch and updater that makes the serialized data into regular tables. Will it be "better"? Perhaps not. Will it be more friendly to new developers? I hope. Either way, the keepers can make that decision and there's no harm.
Last edited by tryagain on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tryagain
DOL Novice

Postby Dunnerholl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:11 am

surely, its educational and you can do anything you like :)

many years ago i wanted to do the same, and it took a long time for me to understand that it doesnt matter and makes it even harder instead of easier in those specific cases, in my opinion.
Dunnerholl
Developer

Postby Tolakram » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:51 am

It's given me a chance to learn about DOL's database layer and the mapping of classes to database elements.
That is an excellent way to learn!
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby tobz » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:49 am

The real problem here is that data is handled all inclusively and you're always doing full DB updates, etc. Everything that does DB stuff really just needs a save method that makes all the appropriate calls. One place to update when there are new requirements. Add a new table to track RAs for a player? No problem, just add a save line for the DB object in GamePlayer.Save(), etc.
tobz
DOL Devotee

Postby Blue » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Just saw this discussion and want to give my reason why I used serialized fields on dolcharacter.

It's just on thing => DB performance.

If the data is not stored in the serialized fields, the database will have the task to join the tables. If you imagine that every player has lets say 15-20 skills on average the table size of the join table will be 20x character count. So if a player loads from DB it will join this table everytime. And that table can be quite huge. If you have even more of these huge tables to join in for every char you will propably stress the DB.

A typical example of such a performance hit can be seen on the inventorytable where the visible equipment has to be joined in when a client requests a character overview. On Uthgard this can easily consume up to 1000ms.

I know its not the nice "school-database-design" and its against database normalization but the win in performance was the point to do it this way, and in old times it was quite important with weak cheap servers.

Having working factions will face the same problem as you have to store relations of a player to every faction which can be a huge amount. Imagine there are 400 factions. This results in 400x character count datasets in the table which is to join whenever a player enters the game. Given Uthgards character count of 150,000 the DB would face 60.000.000 table entries on every player load to join in (in the worst case if every relation is stored). That on top of the inventory load.
ex DOL Lead Developer
Blue
Uthgard Admin

Postby Dunnerholl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:06 pm

i think that as long as you dont want to do a search (where) with stuff in a serialized field, there is no real downside of using it, as far as dol is concerned, that used db mainly as a pure persistance layer. of course if the splitting consumes more than db operations that would be necessary, it could be a reason to change it.
Dunnerholl
Developer

Postby tryagain » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:27 pm

What about a document oriented database for values like these? Of course it adds some additional complexity especially with setup but it's all experimental at this point anyway (or rather the things I am doing are). I've played with mongoDB just a tad but there are several others.
tryagain
DOL Novice

Postby Graveen » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:57 pm

definitively no. Replacing mysql with another db is not in the scope of future need. I agree to replace mysql layer with linq/ef layer, thus we could easily change the db type (even a nosql one), but going directly to a nosql or using 2 concurrent layers is infernal with the ressources we have :)
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby tryagain » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Infernal eh? That's pretty serious. At any rate like I said, I'm interested in experiments at this point. So, maybe for me it's OK. :)
tryagain
DOL Novice

Postby Graveen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:43 am

if you are interested, go, but i fear the bugfixes/benefits ratio, and this 'll be determinant if it must be included in the core ;)
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Dunnerholl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:37 pm

grav, you have good experience with linq/ef? all my trys were insane slow performing
Dunnerholl
Developer

Return to “%s” DOL Development Discussion