Merging realms

Discussions on various DOL development features

Moderator: Support Team

Merging realms

Postby FireBurst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:25 am

First of all I know you may tell me that this is client-side coding and we can't do anything... but im here for a solution that can counter my problem.

Lets start with:

-You know friendly color for npc names is light blue (cyan) and enemy is just the color of the level compared to you (yellow, red, purple etc).
-You do know that names of friendly players are just grey-blue and enemies are the race in red.
-Also that on pvp ruleset it is all different (everything just shows red).

Have you ever tried to change the realm of a player belonging to Albion (meaning he's Albion character and race on creation) and see how his name change when you have another player looking at you?

Example: I am albion inconnu with my friend albion too. Our names are showing normally blue. If I change my realm to Midgard or Hibernia, relog, I will still see my friend with the same color name even if we are now enemies.

Example2: I am Hibernia elf with an Hibernia guard. I change my realm to 1 (Albion) and relog. I will still see the npc name in cyan (light blue, friendly color). But we are enemies.

Conclusion: It's not the realm that changes the color of names but it's all about from which realm we created the character OR it's based on the race at creation.

Problem: I'm having that issue when I want to mix realms together (have troll, elf and inconnu on same realm number) and have the npcs showing friendly color if they are same realm number; the colors are appearing different to everybody depending on their base race/realm. You will never know if that npc is really enemy or not even if his color is light blue until you get close enough to get aggro.

That stupid system based on that ruins my realm mix system and I need to find out a way to show true light blue if they are friendly toward us, not looking at base race but looking at the CURRENT realm number.

I suppose YES it is client-side but does anybody know a strategy to counter that issue? I mean, what about if we merge that pvp system where everything is just red but it's gonna be just crazy to have that color everywhere.

Do you know any other solution?
FireBurst
DOL Enthusiast

Re: Merging realms

Postby asterick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 am

try a co-op server setting. This should work as far as PVE zones.
asterick
DOL Visitor

Postby FireBurst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 am

I thought about that too but every npc will have light blue names and all players (friendly and hostiles) will show as normal blue names. How will we see who is enemy or not? :S
FireBurst
DOL Enthusiast

Postby geshi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 am

Yep :( I ran in to this issue last year :( I had to put people of the same realm in to a special guild :/
geshi
Contributor

Postby Tolakram » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Why did a guild work? Perhaps it's client side limited? That's usually where the issue lies since the client expects certain behavior, like PVP guilds being enemies. Still, you could lie to the client and tell it you are an enemy guild ... though I'm not familiar with the packets in this area.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Dinberg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 pm

This should be pretty simple to solve. Let's call the realm the character was created in the 'created realm'. I will refer to the client's player as 'myPlayer', and another player as 'anotherPlayer'.

When 'anotherPlayer' is added to the world, it will send out a player create packet to via myPlayer.Out; inside this packet will be the realm of anotherPlayer.

The simple solution to this problem is as follows, and really shouldn't require too much code at all to get it working. If (anotherPlayer.Realm == myPlayer.Realm), replace anotherPlayer.Realm in the creation packet with myPlayer.Realm. Else, replace anotherPlayer.Realm with another value that is NOT equal to myPlayer.Realm

I really think thats all there is to it, and you should be able to use the Normal ruleset colours as (I believe) you may have originally wanted.
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby Dinberg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm

If you take a similar approach to the NPC creation packet realms, that should fix your other problems.
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Return to “%s” DOL Development Discussion