All those years

Discussions on various DOL development features

Moderator: Support Team

All those years

Postby Argo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:32 am

people have been mourning that this and that is missing in the DOL DB and it is true, tons of items, npc's, mobs, quests are missing. What i am wondring about now is why never somebody ever started to restore the DB zone by Zone. I started lately to restore Zone by zone with Camelot Hills and i found uncounted items mobs quests etc... that i newly added. I reviewed the items that are in that zone already and corrected stats added missing stats and so on. The result is that camelot hills is done. Mobs are all in, NPCs i found even missing ones, merchants were missing an incredible lot of items. To pinpoint it, i got two zones in albion completely restored. Constantines sound, (which is my baby anyway as everybody knows) Tomb of Mithra with pathed mobs, camelot hills. Those zones are completely done, including itemized mobs which makes leveling much more fun. Now i am working on Camelot itself, i kicked out useless npc's that are Pendragon only npc's (How the Hell did they make it in to the DB?) Camelot was missing a merchant too, it is added. Merchants are filled up with missing items, we had a lot of them in camelot that were missing items. Epic rewards were double and tripple in the DB, most of them with wrong stats, wrong models etc... all of that is corrected. I could go on for ages about the things that have been changed in our DB now.

The point is that all of this was done by only one person in a short amount of time compared to the age of our DB. The question i have now is this, if only one person could do that in a very short time, why has never been done any attempt to do a restoration of the DB by a team? We could do wonders to the DB as a team. Anyone up to it? I could use a few passionate DAoClers to team up with me and do the job that needs to be done. If anyone should be interested in a serious restoration, drop me a not per pm.

regards

Argo
Möge Gott sein zwischen Dir und dem Leid, an allen dunklen und verlassenen Orten, die Du erreichen wirst.
Argo
Server Team

Re: All those years

Postby Graveen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:43 am

Thank you mate for your involvement ! :)
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Argo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 am

Constantines Sound: levelrange 1- 12 only by questing, mobs all itemized, as an extra you are rewarded with a complete armor set by reaching level 10 and slaying the big bad boy, another extra is a hidden glowie to achieve and a horse you can get by quest. Mobs in this region above lvl 5 wear Armor with AF and ABS, racial resists are given them too. Mobs lvl 10 and above will style you with pleasure. A nice challenge.

Camelot Hills: levelrange 1 - 10 by questing only, All mobs are in, all mobs are itemized, quests bring you from level 1 to level 10, as extra waves a complete set of armor for the start from the quest childsplay, the follow up at level 5 gives another set of nice armor. Mobs in this region above level 5 wear armor with AF and ABS, Racial resists were added too. Mobs. lvl 10 and above will style you. Happy hunting :D

Tomb of Mithra: completely restored with pathed mobs, mobs here wear armor with AF and ABS, racial resists are added too. All mobs are itemized according to their level. Adventurewings are in use (Thx Leodagan). All mobs with weapons will style you.

Balbans Breach: This region is completely restored, populated with mobs and questmobs, all mobs are itemized and loot will drop according to the realm that the mob is killed by. Balban is is in and Itemized. All mobs above lvl 5 here are armored with AF and ABS, racial resists are added. Balban may wanna style you to death. He is a tough oponent.

These are the changes so far, they will find their way in to Storm and Freyad DB by the end of the week.

A little note for you Mark, i am closing in on the quests in Camelot, thus also the doppelöganger quest ;)

regards

Argo
Möge Gott sein zwischen Dir und dem Leid, an allen dunklen und verlassenen Orten, die Du erreichen wirst.
Argo
Server Team

Postby Tolakram » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:48 pm

I know, I know. :)

It's been a very busy few months for me. My sons team did well enough that we will now be traveling again at the end of April. I'm going to use up all my vacation before summer gets here!
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Argo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Hope you will enjoy your vacation, i jealous you a bit :) it's some time ago that i had a holiday :)

regards

Argo
Argo
Server Team

Postby Graveen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:54 pm

wow vacations i barely remember what it means :( :(
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Leodagan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Great Job Argo ;)

Does the Racial Resists you include on Mobs have negative values too ?

I know that with current Mob toughness (they are pretty easy...) we tend to put a load of racial resist to raise the combat length, but this doesn't give the chance to see bonus damage (+xx) while fighting them...

Actually there is a Game bonus Property "MagicAbsorb" that could try to fake a mob magic resistance without rising racial resist (and still gives the opportunity to display bonuses), but it's not implemented in game spell damage calculation :'(
Leodagan
Developer

Postby geshi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:13 pm

People did.. they just kept it all private..

There's an all too apparent cycle which I have noticed happening a lot lately.. people come along, create a server, fix/add a few live like things to their personal server, stick the server on Portal, it dies within a few weeks and then the work is lost.. it's happening over and over.

Standards should have been introduced years ago but sadly I think it's too late now, too many people have quit the project due to the greedy community.

I've lost count of the number of servers which have manually added Astral weapons with working procs.. yet they're still not in the User Downloads/public db..

In my opinion, since the whole public DB debacle started this project has gone downhill, the public DB has barely changed in about 3 years now and the community is much worse.
geshi
Contributor

Postby Tolakram » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:21 pm

We can't use most of that code anyway. There's a huge huge difference between code slopped together by a few server ops and the code that gets to the core. There are some notable exceptions, but usually they get purple names pretty quickly.

It's difficult for me to explain the difference between good and bad code, but I'm good enough to recognize the bad code, but not as good as some of the other devs who've been around and written the really good stuff. It's up to the community to BE a community. There is nothing preventing them from sharing their work, and numerous free tools for them to do so.

There is not value in us trying to make it easier, because that's NOT the problem.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Argo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Well Geshi, if you look in to the Storm DB, you will find countless contributions from my side. I have lost overview how many things i have contributed, how many changes were made through my ideas and so on. Just have a look at dungeons, before i came to DoL they were as good as empty, now they are filled up with mobs. The sound islands, they were empty, now they are populated by mobs, npc's and quests. Albion itself, it was crowded like hell with mobs that didn't even belong there, now you can speak about a world. and many uncounted things more, some time ago i even contributed my complete home DB to the Public DB with all that was in it. Can't remember what else i have contributed etc... i believe i am one of those that are really devoted to this project and as long as i exist, this project wont end. i admit i am not steady in doing a thing from a-z, i do whatever i like to do in that very moment but whatever i start, you can bet i will finish it ;) and whatever i change on my DB has found its way in to Storm and will find its way to Storm furthermore.

just my two cents

Argo
Argo
Server Team

Postby Argo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Does the Racial Resists you include on Mobs have negative values too ?
  • Body Type
    Bony Undead 20 – -20 5 -15 – – 30 –
    Chain – -15 15 -10 – – – – 10
    Cloth – – – – – – – – –
    Darkness/Void – – – – – -20 – 10 –
    Drakulv (Furry Animal) – -5 15 – 15 – – – –
    Elemental: Air -10 -10 -10 10 -10 – – 30 -5
    Elemental: Earth 15 -10 -15 -10 10 – – 30 –
    Elemental: Fire -10 -10 -10 -20 20 – – 30 –
    Elemental: Ice 10 -10 10 20 -20 – – 30 10
    Elemental: Water -15 -10 -10 15 10 – – – 10
    Feeble-Minded – – – – – – – – –
    Fleshy Undead -10 15 15 10 -10 – – 30 –
    Furry Animal – 10 10 15 -5 – 5 – –
    Incorporeal Undead -15 -15 -15 10 10 – -20 30 –
    Leather – 15 -15 15 -10 – – – –
    Light Energy -15 -15 -15 – – -20 – – –
    Magical Energy -15 -15 -15 – – – – 10 –
    Plate 10 -5 – -10 10 – – – 10
    Reptile (Scaled) – -15 15 – 15 – – – –
    Shell (Chitin) 15 – – -10 10 – – – –
    Soft – – – – – – – – –
    Studded Leather 10 – -10 -10 5 – – – 5
    Tree/Plant – 20 -15 20 – – -15 – -10
    Troll-like -15 10 10 25 -15 – -5 – 15
it is this table that i am using plus the normal racial resists like briton highlander etc....

regards

Argo
Argo
Server Team

Postby geshi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Well Geshi, if you look in to the Storm DB, you will find countless contributions from my side. I have lost overview how many things i have contributed, how many changes were made through my ideas and so on. Just have a look at dungeons, before i came to DoL they were as good as empty, now they are filled up with mobs. The sound islands, they were empty, now they are populated by mobs, npc's and quests. Albion itself, it was crowded like hell with mobs that didn't even belong there, now you can speak about a world. and many uncounted things more, some time ago i even contributed my complete home DB to the Public DB with all that was in it. Can't remember what else i have contributed etc... i believe i am one of those that are really devoted to this project and as long as i exist, this project wont end. i admit i am not steady in doing a thing from a-z, i do whatever i like to do in that very moment but whatever i start, you can bet i will finish it ;) and whatever i change on my DB has found its way in to Storm and will find its way to Storm furthermore.

just my two cents

Argo
That's the problem, I and many others don't understand the whole fascination you and other members have with storm.. if it's livelike content why not release it to everyone? why just Storm?

A few people I have spoken to in the past have been put off contributing to the public due to servers like Eden, Storm and many others not releasing their livelike content, the consensus seems to be if they're not releasing livelike content to the public then why should I? I also felt the same way.. I tried to contribute a few things when I felt they were needed but it felt like all of the popular servers were taking whatever I contributed and making their servers better and not contributing anything to anyone.

*I know Storm contributed a lot, but I just don't understand why there's so much livelike content sitting there doing nothing....

The whole open source core & private db bullshit is an absolute joke and has hindered the growth of this project.. anyone who thinks otherwise just needs to check the state of the svn repository and the state of the public DB...

Code isn't the issue here, the public database is. Over the last few years it has felt like the main aim of this project is to make Storm better.. rather than make Dawn of Light a better emulation of DAoC.
geshi
Contributor

Postby Argo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:39 pm

... some time ago i even contributed my complete home DB to the Public DB with all that was in it. ...
If you read, read correct Geshi. Why am i fascinated with Storm? It is quite a simple answer, i call it loyality. When i was a n00b in DOL years ago there was Graveen who helped me a lot, when i needed a DB, it was graveen who trusted me in giving me the first DB to work on, and i do not mean the DB that the public had, when i was a bit more experienced it was graveen who granted me access to the storm db, when i was rdy to do ingame worldbuilding it was graveen who had enough fate in me to grant me GM and Admin rights. I am loyal to Storm and Storm is loyal to me ALL THOSE YEARS Graveen did not even lose his trust in me when i was a GM on Uthgard. I could go on like this for pages but i guess you know what i am saying. Think about it for a minute or two.

regards

Argo
Argo
Server Team

Postby Tolakram » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:53 pm

The whole open source core & private db bullshit is an absolute joke and has hindered the growth of this project.. anyone who thinks otherwise just needs to check the state of the svn repository and the state of the public DB...
Nope, it would be just something else for someone to come here and complain doesn't work or needs fixed, as if we are a company with paid employees here to do the work for them. Just something else to manage.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby geshi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Nope, it would be just something else for someone to come here and complain doesn't work or needs fixed, as if we are a company with paid employees here to do the work for them. Just something else to manage.
There should still be a public database, everyone should be forced to contribute all livelike database fixes/additions to it in order for their server to stay on Portal.

I don't see how that would negatively effect anything.
... some time ago i even contributed my complete home DB to the Public DB with all that was in it. ...
If you read, read correct Geshi. Why am i fascinated with Storm? It is quite a simple answer, i call it loyality. When i was a n00b in DOL years ago there was Graveen who helped me a lot, when i needed a DB, it was graveen who trusted me in giving me the first DB to work on, and i do not mean the DB that the public had, when i was a bit more experienced it was graveen who granted me access to the storm db, when i was rdy to do ingame worldbuilding it was graveen who had enough fate in me to grant me GM and Admin rights. I am loyal to Storm and Storm is loyal to me ALL THOSE YEARS Graveen did not even lose his trust in me when i was a GM on Uthgard. I could go on like this for pages but i guess you know what i am saying. Think about it for a minute or two.

regards

Argo
I know you have contributed to the public database in the past, my post wasn't an attack on you at all... more the community as a whole.

I understand now, you have admitted you care a lot more about Storm than DOL.. whilst if all these livelike db changes on Storm, Eden, Hyperion, Faith, Freyad, Genesis and the countless of other servers were all made public not only would DOL as a project benefit but so would Storm.

Nothing's going to change, I doubt the public database will be in a better state 2 years from now, multiple people have tried to kick it off but where are they now? there's a reason they stopped.
geshi
Contributor

Return to “%s” DOL Development Discussion