Linux update..

Discussions on various DOL development features

Moderator: Support Team

Linux update..

Postby pyrite1978 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Im lookin around and all I see about running the server under linux, are some old (2011) posts griping about mono...

Has there been any advance on this, is it still an unwanted branch for the server? and If there happens to be any more recent news on this that I am missing, could you point me in the right direction?
pyrite1978
DOL Apprentice

Re: Linux update..

Postby pyrite1978 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:53 pm

hmmm It would appear somehow, this thread got created twice... If someone would be so kind as to delete the other instance please.
pyrite1978
DOL Apprentice

Postby Leodagan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:09 am

Freyad is running on Linux for more than a year...

The best way to make DOL work under Mono is to make its code more and more simple, and use more and more "managed" library from the framework...

Mono 3 branch is ready for .NET 4 or 4.5 without much troubles ! (Performance Counter display errors but you can ignore them, a lot of DOLConfig or other utils are not working great, but DOL itself has mostly no trouble !)

Later Mono Revision will get more and more compatible with .NET, Microsoft has finally choosen to work with Novell to offer a multi-system full fledged Runtime !
Leodagan
Developer

Postby pyrite1978 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:58 pm

I wonder what has provoked Microsoft to see the light? They probably just chasing money, which I guess I cant fault them for. Everyone likes money.. :P

Nevertheless its good to see cooperation like this from MS.. that in and of itself is rare.

I'd really rather run the server from *nix, but I think it would undermine the ultimate goal for the server.. Ill probably just hold off on this for now.

I would like to know what kinda bandwidth load I should expect to see on the server by increasing playerbase, for instance what kinda up and down would I see from 500 players?

this is just a curiosity..
pyrite1978
DOL Apprentice

Postby Leodagan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:39 am

With later client releases I think you can expect about 10 to 15 kB/s of bandwidth for each player.

Download would be more used than upload, (server is some kind of player "repeater"), processor wouldn't be a trouble for a server under the 600-800 range (judging from genesis experience) and memory could rise in usage compared to a fresh launched shard (about 600-800 MB of memory when launched on Windows, about 3-6GB on linux...)

I still haven't found what makes Mono Memory usage this high, it's really about 5 times bigger than using windows !

For a production server use I would recommend this config under Linux :
  • Quad Core Processor (or equivalent like 2C/4T processors), ranging from Atom (maybe 300+ player limit) to Xeon (maybe 800+ player limit due to DOL weakness)
  • 16 GB Memory (if the database is hosted on the same server), 8GB can be enough for testing or if you take care of not running too much services from the server (reduced MySQL memory Usage, no Web server...)
  • Any RAID software that can handle more than one storage device, Databases have better performances when they can queue more parallel I/O commands !
The only way to have the best of each world would be to run a Windows Virtual Machine under a Linux Hypervisor, only handling the DOLServer Binary, then connecting through TCP/IP to the host which can run Database and other services !

A Windows VM with 3-4 GB should be plenty enough for DOL which doesn't use a lot of I/O, you can then run a fully working official .NET Runtime to host DOL and have enough hardware on a 8GB server !
Leodagan
Developer

Postby pyrite1978 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:42 pm

awesome, above and beyond :P I was just curious about bandwidth, and you give a full synopsis! epic :P

As of right now this project is not an open server for the public to come enjoy, most clients it has seen at once was 5 or 6 .. and 2 were me, locally.

The reason I asked about bandwidth is cause before any project or what ever is released to the public, it should be as thoroughly tested as possible. and I don't ever foresee a point where I can test how the server well function under a real load.

as far as linux goes, I think ill stick with windows, as it more suits the project, and my server machine is not filled to capacity with ram :P Nor do I have any desire to fill it with ram :p
pyrite1978
DOL Apprentice

Return to “%s” DOL Development Discussion