Remove LOS check on PBAoE Spells??

Discussions on various DOL development features

Moderator: Support Team

Remove LOS check on PBAoE Spells??

Postby Crazys » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:55 pm

tested handling removal

Spell handler line 1200
Code: Select all
if (ServerProperties.Properties.CHECK_LOS_DURING_CAST)
I changed to (a range 0 spells is a pbae spell)
Code: Select all
if (ServerProperties.Properties.CHECK_LOS_DURING_CAST && m_spell.Range > 0)
After going into this I felt the need to remove LOS checking on my server for pbaoe spells.
We where seeing issues especially when handling necros that LOS checks would stack up to the point the region would lock up for 5-10 seconds waiting on LOS responses to complete.
When pbaeing 3-4 items it was smoother. But once pulls started hitting 25+ you could really start to see the LOS check bomb while waiting for them to complete. It was creating an LOS check for every enemy inside the pbaoe which seems personally to be overkill handling considering how short the distance is.

Now i stated that the issue is especially with necros that we are seeing the issue as its very common for necros to pull a large amount of npcs to kill in 1 pull that can create it repeatedly. I tested it with a chanter which appeared also do the same thing just alot harder to pull off.

the down side to this. would be the ability to pbae through walls to hit targets. which on live does work in many locations but in others is LOS protected.

The question is Do we feel that we need to check LOS on PBAoE spells? And if Yes. do we feel we could get away with just LOS checking player vs player to prevent an issue in PvP/RvR and ignoring it in PvE situations?
Crazys
Contributor

Re: Remove LOS check on PBAoE Spells??

Postby Tolakram » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:31 pm

People can PBAOE in D2 all the time without impacting the server. Of course, I do not have necros because the code is crap and I hate them. :)

Is something specifically wrong with necros?

If anything is changed, IMO, it should be to add a server property for LOS check form PBAOE for mobs. You really need to have the LOS check player to player to prevent some serious exploits. PVP is also simpler because it's a simple call from one player to another.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Graveen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:12 pm

(...)
(...)
Quoted and screened for my private collection ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Crazys » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 pm

(...)
(...)
Quoted and screened for my private collection ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
actually... after switching this i've had a necro level to 50 on my server already. I'm seeing a rnadom delayed zone by a few 100 ms now and then but nothing like it was when it was LOS checking every npc.
Crazys
Contributor

Postby Leodagan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 am

That's pretty weird to get Region Freeze for LOS check, they should be on request/reply async logic !

Maybe there is too much sync code (lock()) around these checks so that concurrency greatly lower the effectiveness...

Graveen is right : There is something specifically wrong with necros

they're totally fucked up as they are now !

I have a huge update to necro in Freyad Branch, but even if these update are much cleaner in code and cast logic I have even more "Brain" trouble with this (maybe not much to tune...) the pet is obeying weird even if most of cast sequence are much better handled !

Well I'll try to see what I can merge from freyad around summoning, but I made SO MUCH changes around summoning that this needs to be done carefully or I'll break Storm ! (even if eventually I'll merge all my spell code with storm, this will need pretty much databases updates to take advantage of...)
Leodagan
Developer

Return to “%s” DOL Development Discussion