Information Resources

General server discussion for Dawn of Light: Storm.

Moderators: Support Team, Storm Team

Information Resources

Postby Ded » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 am

Hello All, I'd like to start by saying how much I appreciate the efforts of the DOL team. You folks have created a cost free environment for us all to enjoy an awesome game.

That being said, I think its time i begin the task of giving back. I understand many have said this before and not followed thru. Many of the new members of the community wish to do the same. However, getting a test server set up is only the beginning. The task i have set in front of myself is to create mobs and items in the Cave of Cruachan. A daunting task i know. I ask not for instructions regarding the process, as i realize the info is in the forums to a great extent. What would be helpful to me, and many other beginners, would be a few direct links to topics relating directly to setting up a new mob. Using GM commands, I can successfully create mobs, set aggro, setup a brain, and a few other things. This is just the beginning of a successful addition to storm and DOL. Creating Loottemplates, NPCtemplates, and so on seems harder than intended. I have found lots of info about how to attach templates, but not much in the creation of such. Knowing that all the info is here on the forums makes it more frustrating that i seem unable to hone in the data. If you folks could be so kind as to give me some topic links to read over, i would be much obliged.

My hopes of making real contributions greatly outweighs my current knowledge. However, I am very motivated to give back and assist the team in making Storm and DOL even better than it already is. I know of several other players that feel the same. Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Ded
DOL Visitor

Re: Information Resources

Postby Graveen » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:46 am

Welcome !

Have you checked the articles section ? http://www.dolserver.net/articles/

Have fun !
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Ded » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Yes, I have been slowly trying to dig thru. Its a bit of information overload. However, some of the articles are very dated and don't seem to apply at this time. I'll keep digging thru tho. Lots of interesting reading. Under general guides, this one seems out of date for server start up [http://www.dolserver.net/articles/?article=40]. I have however successfully started a test server and can access the database, but i wonder if there might be an easier way. I notice the new releases use am XML based DB. To allow access to DB, is it possible to access the XML without having to use the dated server release and linking to the new DB release? That would certainly be easier if its possible. Also that would guarantee that the actual server is up to date, instead of just the DB. Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
Ded
DOL Visitor

Postby Graveen » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:41 pm

xml DB is not working - or at least completly untested and untouched for years.
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Ded » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:51 pm

OK, thank you. I'll continue with my current setup then. I appreciate the info.
Ded
DOL Visitor

Postby Graveen » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Please, try the DOLSetup (available in download page). You have a full DOL environment out of the box, including MySQL. Simply download an SQL client (HeidiSQL) and connect on the brand new installed database.
Graveen
Project Leader

Return to “%s” General