Is the chance to parry invalid?

General server discussion for Dawn of Light: Storm.

Moderators: Support Team, Storm Team

Is the chance to parry invalid?

Postby Horaug » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Hello there community!

I want to template a character on the Storm Shard and since it is a melee char, he of course needs to parry as much as possible. Therefore I tried to figure out the formula for the parry rate on Storm but found nothing on the internet except for the source code of DOL and since I am not that bad in coding now I looked up the formula.

My first try was a Norse (base dexterity: 50 + additional 10 dexterity on creating him + additional 15 dexterity since he be a Warrior, making 75 dexterity in total without buffs, RAs and so on). According to the following formula I calculated 282.5 or 28.25% respectively.
I used RR5, 41 specialization points on Parry and no item or buff bonuses, just plain 75 dexterity.
Code: Select all
public class ParryChanceCalculator : PropertyCalculator { public override int CalcValue(GameLiving living, eProperty property) { GamePlayer player = living as GamePlayer; if (player != null) { int buff = player.BaseBuffBonusCategory[(int)property] * 10 + player.SpecBuffBonusCategory[(int)property] * 10 - player.DebuffCategory[(int)property] * 10 + player.BuffBonusCategory4[(int)property] * 10 + player.AbilityBonus[(int)property] * 10; int parrySpec = 0; if (player.HasSpecialization(Specs.Parry)) { parrySpec = (player.Dexterity * 2 - 100) / 4 + (player.GetModifiedSpecLevel(Specs.Parry) - 1) * (10 / 2) + 50; } if (parrySpec > 500) { parrySpec = 500; } return parrySpec + buff; } } }
I compared this to the official formula on the official wikia and got 28.75%.
Base = 5%
Skill Bonus = 0.5 * (parry spec + realm rank bonus + template bonus)%
Dex Bonus = 1 / 40 * ((dex * 2) - 100)%

Total = Base + Skill Bonus + Dex Bonus
I then compared this also to a program called Charplaner and it (probably using an old formula) showed me 29.00%.

Next thing I tried was imagining the perfect template with 75 dexterity base on level 50, 75 bonus from temp, 26 cap bonus from temp, making 176 dexterity permanently and 155 dexterity by base and specialization buffs from the beloved Buffbot in the corner of Svasud Faste. Also I thought about 0 in parry from template and no other bonuses.
  • Using the DOL formula: 41.05%
    Using Broadsword's formula: 40.55%
    Using the Charplaner: 50.55%
In common the Broadsword's value is 0.5% higher than DOL's one and the Charplaner's value is overdone always.

So is it possible that the DOL's formula is incorrect? If so, I think the subtraction of 1 in line 50 in ParryChanceCalculator.cs is screwing it. Else, what was my mistake on calculating?

Thanks in advance!
Horaug
DOL Novice

Re: Is the chance to parry invalid?

Postby Tolakram » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:10 pm

I wonder why 1 is subtracted from the parry spec?

A lot of these older calculations where done by old core team members who were no longer around. Most of this was done to match values tested on live at the time they were coded.

So the best answer I can give is, I don't know. :)
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Blue » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:09 pm

DOL's formulas mostly come from other sources in the web. Only exception was melee damage calculation which uses a curve fitted formula.
ex DOL Lead Developer
Blue
Uthgard Admin

Postby Horaug » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Thank you for your responses. Is it going to be changed on the next revision?
Horaug
DOL Novice

Postby Yay » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party. I only want to mention that there is no official formula for calculation of anything DAoC related. Camelotherald is done by some contribs. The formulas are mostly close to Live, but never exactly (that would be tough to achieve especially for probabilities). A 0.5% difference doesnt sound too bad in that regard.
Yay
Contributor

Postby Leodagan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:39 pm

The only real difference seems like it's this "-1" not displayed in "official wikia formula"

Would be easy to fix if this is meant to...
Leodagan
Developer

Return to “%s” General