Line of Sight issues

For any problems with Dawn of Light website or game server, please direct questions and problems here.

Moderator: Support Team

Line of Sight issues

Postby afelsing » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:02 am

Hello everyone,

I have been playing the game quite a bit lately, and I want to give a huge salute to everyone who has put so much effort in developing this and making it work. I have been playing DAoC since launch and I have really enjoyed the experience that all of your hard work has provided. Thank you very much!

As I have been leveling, I have noticed some odd pathing issues for some of the mobs - examples in Spind and in Darkness Falls. I know that the live servers struggled at times for correct pathing in the dungeons. I've looked through the code and I've seen a LOS Manager but there are quite a few comments in the code that show that it may have some adverse side effects. I have also enabled the server properties and did not notice any improvements in the dungeons. My question is, what is the best route to ensure proper LOS and collision for DOL?

Thank you for your time!
afelsing
DOL Visitor

Re: Line of Sight issues

Postby Leodagan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:55 am

Hello,

LoS Manager is one of my "Aborted" Projects...

Use it for development purpose only, there can be severe crash when using this module with Animist's Fire 'n Forget pets :oops:

DOL doesn't have a pathing module for now, it only handles straight line for NPC to walk between their current position and their target, the Line of Sight should be used to check when aggressive Mobs try to select a target but not once combat is engaged, using LoS check when engaged could be used by player to abuse geometry and attack mobs without risking any damage :?

Default LoS Check should be preferred but that won't offer proper pathing or collision (and we don't handle collision at all... it's the player in game who silently perform LoS check and send result to server when requested !)
Leodagan
Developer

Return to “%s” Support