question about pet Follow behaviour

For any problems with Dawn of Light website or game server, please direct questions and problems here.

Moderator: Support Team

question about pet Follow behaviour

Postby ontheDOL » Sun May 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi,

I just wondering if anyone knows for sure. How a controlled pet behaves while on follow as far as their speed.

How I remember is pet speed is constant unless he has speed buff/ is slowed. So by this logic, if I have normal pet with no speed , and I sprint, I should be able to outrun my pet. Same if I put pet on "stay" , move some distance away and start running, then pet follow. Pet should not be able to catch me unless I stop.

But i see here pet will run beyond his maximum speed set ( in NPCtemplate) until he is in minimum follow distance ( as set in GameNPC/ControlledNPC). If you send pet to attack, he will run at his normal speed, this speed boost only happens when pet is trying to follow owner.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not? ( I think not)
- Unty -
Model Showroom and DOL guides
http://losojos-001-site1.btempurl.com
ontheDOL
Developer

Re: question about pet Follow behaviour

Postby Leodagan » Sun May 21, 2017 9:07 pm

This is correct.

Pet Speed is greatly influenced by owner's speed when out of combat and maybe some rules only apply when follow is enable...

Pet will gain every speed buff his owner has even if he didn't receive the effect himself, group speed, self speed, potion speed, sprint speed, pve bonus speed, literally everything so he can catch up to his master speed and allow him to follow without lagging behind !

I don't know how this is handled on live server, and losing your pet because he broke his realm speed or didn't received it at the hastener could be a frustration ;)
Leodagan
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Per Patch 1.21 (there wasnt an text in patch note but since that patch movement speed effects also effect pets)

Daoc Patch 1.75:
The concerns over how slow our movement is has continued to grow as we have added more and more areas in which to travel. Because we believe these concerns are valid, we have decided to make a long requested change to the game, enhancing the movement speed of all players who are out of combat.
 - Pets that are not in combat have also received the new run speed, only when they are following, to allow them to keep up with their owners.
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby ontheDOL » Mon May 22, 2017 3:43 am

ahh yes i forgot about that PvE speed thing. I think that is my problem. I have pve speed turned off, but i think it is still affecting my pet. His speed is set to 191, but if i put him on stay, move away and then set follow, his speed is 238 (191 x 1.25)

edit# ok yeah i checked MaxSpeedCalculator and there is only a check for a GamePlayer and enable_pve_speed, controlled npc still gets speed *= 1.25

On DOL The pet also gets players sprint speed , as mentioned above. I did quick test on live with level one cabby, and i was easily able to sprint away from my pet....but having said that, i cant imagine a group on speed 5 + sprinting and any pets getting left behind on just speed 5... but not sure
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby Leodagan » Mon May 22, 2017 5:20 am

Did you check on live if Pet doesn't receive special sprint bonus when either of you are influenced by a speed buff ?

Ideally Speed of the Realm from Hasteners should be a good test...

I can't imagine sprinting groups losing their pets, but most of those groups are under influence of speed bonus too, it's really uncommon to just perma-sprint without any kind of speed buff ;) (but possible with some RA and Endurance Potions)
Leodagan
Developer

Postby ontheDOL » Mon May 22, 2017 2:30 pm

actually, on second test , think it may have been attributed to poor pathing around constantines sound ( pet doing some odd behaviour in that town on live. ( I can still out run him sprinting but i think only because he is bugging out) So you were correct that pet sprints if owner sprints and speed etc. :oops:
- Unty -
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby Leodagan » Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm not the one who wrote the code, but seeing it "as is" I always expected it to be live-like ;)

But honestly I think there is something not live like in there, I clearly remember trying some mob charm with a mentalist on Pendragon, and some mobs have lower speed than "player base speed" (let's say 185 vs 191) and they are a pain to keep under pulsing charm spell without getting out of range :) (and this never happened to me in DOL...)
Leodagan
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Lemme try to put you it together:

First Leo about charms:
Mobs on live allways had diffrent speed based on 3 factors: Mob size (the bigger the faster ( smallest = 165 biggest = 275 ) but basicly 200. Race based speed (zombies tend to be slower animals tend to be faster). And also level (the level rule simply says the first rule dont count towards mobs between 1-40)

OntheDOL:

Since 1.114c they changed it that pets no longer can walk through small abstract objects and also not database objects (like keep doors and fountains) you should check it outside Tutorial.

The Pet get speed while you sprint and also get follow pve speed like players. Speed chants n such also work for pets but there is still something wrong on DOL.

Couse if you set pet on stay run away and click follow it dont catch you on DOL if you sprint now it suddenly catch up to you and that is wrong:

Couse it should work that way:
Pet speed 192 x 1,30 x 1,25 + 170 player speed 192 x 1,30 + 1,25 + 170 so it shouldnt be possible for pet to catch up player but is able to hold distance to player.

(if you wonder about the calculation i quick xplain:)

Base speed of 192 speed 30% sprint bonus 25% pve speed bonus 170 Units Realm Speed Bonus results into:
482 Units of speed.

But now if you look Database all Pet Npctemplates and all mobs have maxspeed 200 that make the pet slightly faster then player but with sprint and such and same calculation as above it return:

500 Units of speed

That means the Pet is 18 Units faster then you.
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Return to “%s” Support