Can't get past character creation?

For any problems with Dawn of Light website or game server, please direct questions and problems here.

Moderator: Support Team

Can't get past character creation?

Postby Manyx16 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:08 am

Greetings,

This is my first post ever so be gentle :)

I followed the lovely visual guide (http://www.gamersreloaded.net/dol/gettingStarted.html) and everything appears to be working properly. I have successfully created the database and run the server. I can connect to my new server using the DAoCPortal. I can see the connection happening in the server cmd window. I even tried messing up my password after the first login to make sure I was connecting to my server and it failed to connect (as expected).

So my question is...how do I actually get into the game after creating a character? I've clicked the "Realm" button and the "Play" button but neither one seem to do anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Manyx16
DOL Guest

Re: Can't get past character creation?

Postby WisdomConners » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:38 am

Do you actually have your character selected to play when you hit the play button? You can't change realm from that screen. Dunno why the Realm button is even there. Make sure you're patched to 1.89 EU before you select your character and hit Play.
ImageImageImageImage
WisdomConners
DOL Follower

Postby Manyx16 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:07 am

I think I have the character selected. I went ahead and made a second character so I could see the difference between selected and unselected.

The client says it's 1.89 (in the upper left hand corner) when it loads but when I run the patcher from the DAoCPortal it says 1.68. Hopefully that will fix it.

I also opened up the database with Navicat and noticed that quite a few of the tables are empty. Is that normal? I'm going to re-run the database script and see what happens. :)

I appreciate the help. If any other ideas pop into your head, feel free to share.
Manyx16
DOL Guest

Postby SpynalTom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:31 am

I just wanted to add my meager help here. I noticed that you said you used the visual guide and you are seeing many tables are empty. I have found a flaw in the visual guide that seems to be tripping folks up. When they tell you to create a database called "doltest" then import the sql file into this database there is a problem. Unfortunately the database is hardcoded as "dol" in the DB_1902.sql file. In order to make everything work there are 2 methods to use when creating your new server.

1.) Call the new database you are creating "dol" instead of "doltest"
or
2.) Open the DB_1902.sql file and change these lines:
Code: Select all
CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS dol;
USE dol;

to this:
CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXIST doltest;
USE doltest;

This is also useful if you want to make a test database to experiment with while keeping a "stock" database to play on.
I hope this helps. :D
SpynalTom
DOL Guest

Postby Nerull » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Same problem, can't log into the realms, running 1.104 game.dll ....
Storm:
Shadow Warriors
Olidammara ~ Skald 50 3Lx
Vecna ~ Bonedancer 50 2Lx
Nerull ~ Valewalker 50 2Lx
Nerull
DOL Apprentice

Postby Graveen » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:34 pm

Can you test with 1.109 ?
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Nerull » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:32 pm

nothing changed, same error
Storm:
Shadow Warriors
Nerull
DOL Apprentice

Postby Tolakram » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:49 pm

What does your DOL server console say? Does it see you trying to connect?
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Nerull » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:38 pm

yes, it see my inc connection

First row (38) -> Sysetem.NullReferenceException: reference to an object not located on an object istance

[RegionAction.cs] GameObject actionSource
public RegionAction(GameObject actionSource) : base(actionSource.CurrentRegion.TimeManager) <----- { if (actionSource == null) throw new ArgumentNullException("actionSource"); m_actionSource = actionSource; }

[WorldInitRequestHandler.cs] GamePlayer actionSource
public WorldInitAction(GamePlayer actionSource) : base(actionSource) <------ { }
[WorldInitRequestHandler.HandlerPacket] (GameClient client, GSPacketIn packet)
public void HandlePacket(GameClient client, GSPacketIn packet) { if (client == null || client.Player == null) return; client.UdpConfirm = false; new WorldInitAction(client.Player).Start(1); <---------- }

[PacketProcessor.cs]
#if LOGACTIVESTACKS //Put the current thread into the active thread list! //No need to lock the hashtable since we created it //synchronized! One reader, multiple writers supported! m_activePacketThreads.Add(Thread.CurrentThread, m_client); #endif long start = Environment.TickCount; try { packetHandler.HandlePacket(m_client, packet); <--------- } catch (Exception e) { if (log.IsErrorEnabled) { string client = (m_client == null ? "null" : m_client.ToString()); log.Error( "Error while processing packet (handler=" + packetHandler.GetType().FullName + " client: " + client + ")", e); } }
Sorry, but I'm kinda new with this :|
Storm:
Shadow Warriors
Nerull
DOL Apprentice

Postby Tolakram » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:50 pm

I want to see the actual server console text, what does it say, what if any errors are you getting. Code won't help here. :)
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Leodagan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:08 pm

His player has no region when world is initialized...

This is what triggers a null reference on GameTimer Creation (in Object Constructor) which tries to access player current region time manager for registering its Action.

This mean the player is trying to enter a region that is not existing in server ! (maybe check startup location, or check if Shrouded Isles Starting Region or Tutorial Region is correctly set in server)

Some specific game DLL could try to create player in different Regions, this was implemented for game DLL offering starting zone as SI or Tutorial, and maybe other kind of starting zone...
Leodagan
Developer

Postby Scootske » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:55 pm

Hey guys, I think you're onto something! I have absolutely no intention of necro posting; I believe I'm having the same exact issue (if turns out I'm not, I'll gladly fork into another thread). Apologies ahead of time if I've missed something trivial, I'm very new to DAoC and DOL, I've read through a few guides and have tried not to get ahead of myself here. Hopefully my details may help the OP and anyone else with this issue, steps I followed yesterday:

1.) Grabbed the source and compiled just fine.

2.) Downloaded the DB (DOL-DB-3061.sql) and successfully imported it into my MySQL instance (schema entitled 'dol').

3.) Downloaded and patched up my client and then rolled back to the 1.109 game.dll and frontiers as mentioned here

4.) After running through DolConfig and testing the MySQL connection successfully, I fired up the server.

5.) After seeing the open for connections signal, I proceeded to fire up the client and create a character

On the client side things just seem to hang momentarily before doing nothing. On the server console I'm seeing this interesting chain of events (embedded image may be a little trimmed... full image is here):

I unfortunately don't know enough about DAoC yet but through experimentation I did find some old 2008 post with x,y,z cords I could plug into the startuplocation table that would actually allow me to spawn in The Labyrinth but then I had no clue where I really was :roll: Ultimately, it seems my client files aren't enough for me to infer a proper startup location and I need to put some friendly numbers into my startuplocation table. I'd like the tutorial zone(s) if possible, does anyone know where I could get said information to plug into the table?

Greatly appreciate all you guys do, looking forward to getting more familiar with the code base.

-Scootske
Scootske
DOL Guest

Return to “%s” Support