Tournament Style Play at Work!

For any problems with Dawn of Light website or game server, please direct questions and problems here.

Moderator: Support Team

Tournament Style Play at Work!

Postby adjidica » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi all,

Fairly new to DOL but it has been fun playing with the server and getting it running. I'm not sure if this is exactly the right forum for this, please correct me if it is not. There are quite a few old school DAoC players at my work (large IT group) and we are looking to set up a server for some lunchtime funtime. With the blessing of management, which is awesome. We'll be running on a VM with quite generous resources.

We're more interested in 8v8 tournament style play. We've got 4 static groups ready to go, and expect more. It's going to be some good old dept vs dept battling. Basically what i'm looking to do is to eliminate the PvE portion of the game. I've made the changes for insta 50 and insta RR13. That's all well and good. What we want to be able to do is minimize travel, and maximize PvP. That being said i'd like to accomplish the following, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

1. Limit play area to one of the battlegrounds. Each realm would start in their BG keep and have that be the defacto /rel respawn point. I think this would help greatly with server performance if nothing but the BG is being loaded. Also makes it more of a captive area. I'm aware of how to do the startup location in the DB by realm. Not sure how to cut out all the other content tho.
2. Within the starting keep, i'd like to place trainers for each class.
3. Within the starting keep, merchants with all game items being free (or maybe all items above a certain lvl to avoid having to dig through a massive list). We would want everything, not just standard merchant fare. A market would be nice, but not required (some of the people like to craft).
4. Crafting resources needed. Forge, SC table, etc.

I think you can see where i'm going with this based on what's above. Jump in, get trained, geared, and go fight. I'm also working on a scoreboard web based app that will watch the server cosole and post who's in the game, who kills who, etc for those waiting their turn to fight. Match would end when one group wipes another.

Too much to try for? Thoughts? I appreciate any guidance that is offered.
adjidica
DOL Guest

Re: Tournament Style Play at Work!

Postby Argo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:03 pm

hey there,

i think what you aim for is not too much at all, its a lot of work yes but possible to do. When i understand you right then all you want is to use ONE BG? If so then you could go into your dol config and look at debug_load_regions. There you can determine to load only certain regions, which means that you can blend out all the other not needed regions. That would ofcourse lessen the load of the server significant. You could for example say that you wanna load only the BGs Molvik, Thidranky, Leirvik, Cathal valey or say you only take one BG to load.

Merchants, trainer etc.. is another chapter, doable but a lot of work depending on what you want them to sell.

Most important of all is that you have fun in what you do, so do it :)

regards

Argo
Möge Gott sein zwischen Dir und dem Leid, an allen dunklen und verlassenen Orten, die Du erreichen wirst.
Argo
Server Team

Postby adjidica » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks! I'll play with the debug_load_regions and the starting locations today. Appreciate the help.

As far as the merchants go, i'd like to make everything available that would be relevant for lvl 50 toons. I'd like to also include items that are drops, etc for weapons and armor. Basically make all the top end loot loaded in the game available for free in the starting BG keeps. We don't want to spend time farming or going looking for loot. The focus is like I said, 8v8 tournament style play. Is there a good reference available anywhere of all items DOL has in the DB? Or somewhere in the DB I can look? Where would I start looking for the merchant configs?

Once all is said and done and I have the tourney web app done i'd be more than happy to package it all up and send it to whoever wants it. We can't be the only ones that want this kind of PvP. :)
adjidica
DOL Guest

Postby rdsandersjr » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Take a look at the user release section

http://www.dolserver.net/products/dolse ... rfiles.php

Older scripts will need to be updated, but it should help get you on track.
Thanks,
RDSandersJR
rdsandersjr
Support Team

Return to “%s” Support