Starting my Own server & having some issues

For any problems with Dawn of Light website or game server, please direct questions and problems here.

Moderator: Support Team

Starting my Own server & having some issues

Postby chrono888 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Hey everyone, I am a long time DAOC player on and off since original release. I used to play on uthgard for a while before it went down and subsequent reboots and what not. I have searched and used various other threads to try and piece together a solution but trying to pick apart random information to pertain it to me is still leaving me stranded. My goal is simple to have a very vanilla/SI server if there is other dungeons or new classes thats fine. It would honestly be just for me and potentially 4-10 of my friends so Frontiers, and other PVP situations aren't top priority. Just something we can all play and explore the world together.
I have successfully launched a server using MYSQL and easy PHP programs. and have logged in fine. the issues are that im trying to resolve

- NPC's like stores don't have items. or even open chat, i can perform some basic lvl 1 quests.
- My characters aren't spawning with any type of weapon, not even the newbie lvl 1 weapons.
- i'd like to make it maybe a 3x xp server so its not a complete grind, but still be a session to level and explore.
- mobs do appear but i haven't had a chance to ensure that they work properly because I cannot fight because i have no weapons.
- same goes for loot.
- as well making the server accessible for my friends to log into.

When I research the forums and try to pick out answers, seems like everyone is at a little bit of a different stage so I get lost and try to start from scratch. Been trying to populate databases and setting that up so the easyphp reads it and i've downloaded various server software. But just can't seem to wrap my head around it. Ideally i'd like to start from the beginning and get everything going smooth. I just want a very traditional experience for me and my friends with just standard mobs and areas, Sals plains, dungeons, carrying on etc. Perhaps I am misinformed in the amount of effort this would take. Again if there is a simple sticky I missed I do apologize. Thank you for your time.
chrono888
DOL Guest

Re: Starting my Own server & having some issues

Postby pasrer1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Hey, when you just create your server it may help to import a database from the Resources-->User Files here in the DOL website. All of your issues have to do with the fact that your current database has no entries.
You can edit your database with programs such as HeidiSQL you can also import a selected database .SQL file into it using this program too.
As for making your server accessible you your friends, open up DOLConfig.exe, then under Server connection specific the IP should be your IP(you can find out this by googling what's my ipv4) and the port can stay as it is, however you need to port forward in order for your friends to connect to you.
there are plenty of guides on how to do that on the web.

if you aren't on windows you can edit the serverconfig.xml file in your root directory --> config.
and do the same thing in there, just make sure its in between the <><>.
pasrer1
DOL Visitor

Postby ontheDOL » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:08 am

Hey mate, if you could give the server revision you are using, and what database you are using, and it might be easier to figure out some of the problems you are having.

I havent had these issues you mention on the publicly available databases, so it would appear to be an import issue or maybe you didn't import a database at all.
- Unty -
Model Showroom and DOL guides
http://losojos-001-site1.btempurl.com
ontheDOL
Developer

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:26 am

I quick setup an short guide and combine databases so you can start your server how you want.

The first guide is to ensure you have it correctly working down of that i post another message that xplains how to open server for your friends.
Last edited by PlanarChaosRvrtwo on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:00 pm

I allready wrote an article but it need to be checked so i give you here an quick startup guide:
For Daoc you allways need: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=17718

If you really new to dol it take some patience to get into the Server Stuff so let me get into the basics to create an server.

And im not just gonna list all links at one point i try to make it smoth xplain so you can use it step by step.

So on first step we need an programm to open the sourcecode (The place where scripts are stored in an humanable letters)

You can ether use Microsoft Visual Studios or Sharpdevelop but i highly reccomend to use Sharpdevelop

Download it here:

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/S ... fault.aspx

After Install is done we need now Sourcecode it can working with.

The Sourcecode you can get here: https://github.com/dol-leodagan/DOLSharp

Make an Folder somewhere save but easy acessable with that stuff couse this is gonna be your server

Now we need fill the server with content and an method to acess database

For Database you can use ether Navicat or Heidisql on here i would highly reccomend Heidisql

https://www.heidisql.com/download.php

Now after we got this we need an programm that manage the databases you could use Mysql or Mariadb and i would highly recommend to use Mariadb

https://mariadb.org/download/

So now after this is done we connect those part and make the server theorethical run empty (couse no DB yet)

So first step is you open heidisql and create an connection like:

Connection: MyServer

Server Adress / IP : localhost (diffrent if you try acess the db from another computer)

Username: root

Password: dol (but can be everything you want but remember it very well)

Now you can close Heidisql

Now open the sourcecode folder we downloaded in second step.

Rightclick Dawn of Light.sln and hit open it with Sharp Develop

On left you see Projects:

Solution Dawn of Light right click on Solution Dawn of Light and click Build a Solution and wait 10 seconds - 2 mins till it compilied the server

now close it and open the Sourcecode folder again in there new folders appeared:

build and Debug

open the Debug folder and open DOLServer.exe and let it work

On some point it will stop the server

Now we need the Database download the most up to date database currently ths one:

http://www.dolserver.net/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=23083

Now open Heidisql again

now connect with the connection you create before in there rightclick the connection name on top left and do new database

rename it to dol

then on top left click file and click load sql file and select the file you just downloaded and run it (it will ask you how to enter it click no to enter with editor)

Now open Sourcecode folder -> Debug folder

In there open DOLConfig.exe

In there you now select Game Type in General Configuration ( Normal is best for Start)

Now you save if changed and then go to Database Tab

There you select Databasetype MySQL

Then down there you enter the MySQL Database settings (as you entered for Heidisql before):

Connection: MyServer

Server Adress / IP : localhost

Database Name: dol

Username: root

Password: dol (if you picked dol on heidisql)

now click test connection and if you dint did any fail it will say:

Congratulations im connected

Now you are done the server is ready

All you have to do now is open daoc portal and create an custom shard for easy connect it:

Name and Description you can pick

IP: 127.0.0.1 (that is default)

Port: 10300 (that is default)
Last edited by PlanarChaosRvrtwo on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:40 pm

1 - NPC's like stores don't have items. or even open chat, i can perform some basic lvl 1 quests.
2 - My characters aren't spawning with any type of weapon, not even the newbie lvl 1 weapons.
3 - i'd like to make it maybe a 3x xp server so its not a complete grind, but still be a session to level and explore.
4 - mobs do appear but i haven't had a chance to ensure that they work properly because I cannot fight because i have no weapons.
5 - same goes for loot.
6 - as well making the server accessible for my friends to log into.
1 will be solved if you used my guide above
2 will be solved if you used my guide above
4 will be solved if you used my guide above (all you maybe have to do is that some mobs using spells while fighting)
5 will be solved if you used my guide above

now to 3 and 6:

3 Will be xplained in post below

6 You have to open port 10300 (if you entered 10300 in DOLConfig.exe)
And ether your friends need the ip from you each day or you find a way to have it an fix IP

All your friends have to do is to add your server on custom shards in their daoc portal like you did in guide above with the diffrence not using the default ip they use the ip of the machine server is running on
Attachments
Unbenannt (2).PNG
Unbenannt (2).PNG (216.6 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
Last edited by PlanarChaosRvrtwo on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:42 pm

About the Xp:
As you see in Picture above (you have to click picture to open it fully) its the heidisql property table in there you can set an specific xp rate change the xp caps and such
(In the red marked square)
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Return to “%s” Support