Send from ingame to textbox.

For any problems with Dawn of Light website or game server, please direct questions and problems here.

Moderator: Support Team

Send from ingame to textbox.

Postby Sharp » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:00 pm

Hello all,
I encountered a issue that stoped my work on tool that allow me to assist player without being logged.
So my question is: How i can send message from my tool to player ingame?(i type text in my textbox1 and enter button to send message)
Also, how player can re-send me message?

Thank you for any help and assistance.
-Sharp
Sharp
DOL Initiate

Re: Send from ingame to textbox.

Postby Loki » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:01 pm

“ If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in. ”

Join https://discord.gg/r3T2U7S Official DOL Discord Chat
Loki
Developer

Postby Sharp » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Thank you, will give it a try :)
Sharp
DOL Initiate

Postby Graveen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:57 am

This is tricky, because effectively nothing export text outside, so this lead to 2 solutions:
- a 3rd tool (such as IRC, or anything you can send text to, this is handled by the server)
- a fake gameclient connecting as a gameplayer, so you can natively build your interface around it. Notice the client limitations (ie, you'll LD after 10s of non activity) are client-side, so it won't impact a tool connecting to DOL
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Sharp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:43 am

This is tricky, because effectively nothing export text outside, so this lead to 2 solutions:
- a 3rd tool (such as IRC, or anything you can send text to, this is handled by the server)
- a fake gameclient connecting as a gameplayer, so you can natively build your interface around it. Notice the client limitations (ie, you'll LD after 10s of non activity) are client-side, so it won't impact a tool connecting to DOL
Thank you very much for help :) That explain me the situation.
Sharp
DOL Initiate

Postby LugusSkye » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm

almost positive you can use server console and not be in game to send the message to a person. you will need to create a custom command to do it as well as custom player command to reply (that might be harder to do). And, of course, as Graveen suggested, you can attach an outside custom dll to server process which will run separately and expand the core functionality.
LugusSkye
DOL Initiate

Postby Sharp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:16 am

almost positive you can use server console and not be in game to send the message to a person. you will need to create a custom command to do it as well as custom player command to reply (that might be harder to do). And, of course, as Graveen suggested, you can attach an outside custom dll to server process which will run separately and expand the core functionality.
Thank you for suggestion :) That is quiet interesting(part with custom command).
Sharp
DOL Initiate

Postby LugusSkye » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:40 am

this is very interesting question, and i've been looking at possible solutions myself even before it was mentioned here. and here is another way and i think if it only comes to messaging players in game and receiving messages back - this is way easier than attaching external process.

create a message table in mysql that is read by dol on a timer, i would assume 2 min or so timer would not cause much overhead, even more frequent should not be an issue since this table will be small and quickly retrieved. your external program, whatever that is, can write to the same table and let dol read from it. table will have some kind of identifier that the message should be broadcaster and to whom. in dol, create custom player command that will also insert record in the same table with your name and can be read from outside. I actually prefer this solution, this can be extended to other functions as well but as far as messaging imo, its not hard to accomplish.
LugusSkye
DOL Initiate

Postby Sharp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:32 pm

this is very interesting question, and i've been looking at possible solutions myself even before it was mentioned here. and here is another way and i think if it only comes to messaging players in game and receiving messages back - this is way easier than attaching external process.

create a message table in mysql that is read by dol on a timer, i would assume 2 min or so timer would not cause much overhead, even more frequent should not be an issue since this table will be small and quickly retrieved. your external program, whatever that is, can write to the same table and let dol read from it. table will have some kind of identifier that the message should be broadcaster and to whom. in dol, create custom player command that will also insert record in the same table with your name and can be read from outside. I actually prefer this solution, this can be extended to other functions as well but as far as messaging imo, its not hard to accomplish.
Nice idea! It is the first hint so far i'm propably able to do/code :) (sry other hints looks quiet hard for me atm)
Great + for you !
Sharp
DOL Initiate

Postby LugusSkye » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:05 pm

you are very welcome.

btw, you don't even need custom dol player command. you can use existing send message command and just modify code to be more like
if send.recipient not online
save message to your external_link_message_table
else
regular send

be careful not to allow too much insert to this table. it might get too big. maybe filter only if message recipient is a gm or even certain name.

good luck!
LugusSkye
DOL Initiate

Postby Xephor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:04 am

This is the easy way to do it but remember you would not want anyone you do not trust to have access to your tool because it could be reverse engineered for your connection information. You would need to create a client application for users and a server application for the database.
Xephor
DOL Guest

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 am

Good topic but the result should be someone define an gm client that dont load all physical data and just allow to have a blank chat client.
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby LugusSkye » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:47 pm

This is the easy way to do it but remember you would not want anyone you do not trust to have access to your tool because it could be reverse engineered for your connection information. You would need to create a client application for users and a server application for the database.
good point and in fact any tool is dangerous including CreatorSuite which has the connection. All tools should be Admin only and GMs should have very limited access if any. Any GM in game, in fact, can modify live database which is even more dangerous. Roles, access levels, objects exposed can all be created in MySQL by an admin. My answer was based on OP question assuming OP is the top level administrator.
LugusSkye
DOL Initiate

Return to “%s” Support