New class- can't see class at creation screen [SOLVED]

For any problems with Dawn of Light website or game server, please direct questions and problems here.

Moderator: Support Team

New class- can't see class at creation screen [SOLVED]

Postby afelsing » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Hello DOL community!

I am a long time fan of DAoC and decided to try my hand at this. I have a new class that I've implemented but I cannot see it at the character creation screen. Also, after creating a new character and changing the class id, I see unknown class. Am I missing some sort of class registration?

I've added my new class to the GamerServer -> PlayerClasses -> Midgard folder

[CharacterClassAttribute((int)eCharacterClass.Monk, "Monk", "Viking")]
public class ClassMonk : ClassViking

I've also added this class to the Starting_Classes_Dict.

I am running 1.109 of the game.dll with the most current patch information from the DAoC server.

Thanks for any assistance!
Last edited by afelsing on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
afelsing
DOL Visitor

Re: New class- can't see class at creation screen

Postby HunabKu » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:43 am

Hello afeising.
You can't add custom classes on the character creation screen without modifying the client.
"C'est l'ignorance qui apporte le chaos, pas la connaissance."
Scarlett Johansson dans "Lucy" de Luc Besson
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge."
Scarlett Johansson on "Lucy" by Luc Besson
HunabKu
Developer

Postby afelsing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Thank you for the response, Hunab Ku!

Just so that I am clear: When you say "client", are you referring to the DAoC client or something else under DOL's control? I admit that this is day #2 of digging through the code, so I am still exploring quite a bit. I've seen a few posts from people talking about a new class. How do most folks instantiate a character with one of their new custom classes?

Thank you for the guidance!
afelsing
DOL Visitor

Postby Leodagan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:14 pm

On this project when you hear "Client Side" or "Need Client Modification" or "Client Limitation", it's always about the DAoC Game software that act as Client for the DOL Server ;)

Character Creation screen in hardcoded in Client, there are some part of the Client that can be in "Assets Files" (which are mostly Geometry and User Interface data), and Client constants that are buried inside the game.dll (Specific ID like Keep, Class or Skills...)

We have a philosophy on not trying to modify the client, and you'll need to provide any custom files to your player if you go down this way :D

Anyway for Custom Classes you have some choice :
- Replace existing classes with your own and tell player to choose some class like "Warrior" and they'll get a "Monk" instead...
- Use a NPC class-changer in game, pretty much like base-class promotion to advanced class, you can use the Trainer Promote Code as an example to change a player class in game, you may need to provide in-game direction from starting Area NPC to tell your players that other custom classes are available at some "Trainer"
- Force player to start as base class (there is a switch in Server Properties Table) and they'll get promotion options matching your Classes Dictionary when they reach level 5.
Leodagan
Developer

Re: New class- can't see class at creation screen [SOLVED]

Postby afelsing » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:56 am

Thank you for the response, Leodagan! I chose to go the route of starting as a base class and everything has worked well. Cheers!
afelsing
DOL Visitor

Return to “%s” Support