A few questions regarding the packetLibs

For any problems with Dawn of Light website or game server, please direct questions and problems here.

Moderator: Support Team

A few questions regarding the packetLibs

Postby Shadexx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:58 am

Howdy,

it's been a while since I touched my source code for the last time thus I would love to make it working with the current version of DAoC.

I just have a few questions, would be nice if there are some people who could help me :)

1. My source code roughly is from 2009/10, I haven't been doing a lot of research regarding the packetLibs so far, can I still do an update from 1.109 to the latest available supported version without having to touch the GameServer-Project too much? I saw that the current source code handels player classes differently than back 2009/10, skills/specs seem not be in the class files anymore, abilities, spells etc seem not be included anymore

2. I will search for it on my own for sure - but is there someone who can tell me which revisions did come with new packetLib-supports? I would like to do a manual update (not using a SVN/GitHub update)

Thank you
Shadexx
DOL Experienced

Re: A few questions regarding the packetLibs

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:28 am

the main question is more why you want have an old incorrect code if you can tell us why we maybe can offer dedicaded help couse for now it just look hillerous to me
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby Shadexx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:32 am

the main question is more why you want have an old incorrect code if you can tell us why we maybe can offer dedicaded help couse for now it just look hillerous to me
Dear "PlanarChaosRvrtwo" :wink:,

you are right - totally actually. However, I am asking for this as I added a lot of custom content to my source code lately and back '09, '10, '12 & 13. Using a more fresh source code would be lovely - but not functional for me at the moment.

I will have to study all the big changes that came with the bunch of revisions during the last years - in order to know how to actually implement my custom content to the current revision.

Is it actually possible to update the packetLib (1.1109) to the current supported version without changing the GameServer-Project (classes, objects, etc) too much? If not, I will probably use a fresh source code.

Edit: Most importantly - did packetLib dedicated updates come step by step ? If so, I will definetly have to use a fresh source code :)
Shadexx
DOL Experienced

Postby PlanarChaosRvrtwo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:55 am

yes they come step by step i dont have an clue about migration progress without using new sourcecode
but a thing that could interest you:

http://www.dolserver.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23050
DOL dint only gaved me the data to start my server,
it also gaved me 16 amazing years with nice peeps,
and now its on me to return the favor.
PlanarChaosRvrtwo
Database Team

Postby Leodagan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:51 am

Hello Shadexx,

Maybe using Git Revision Cherry Picking you could achieve something but this is going to be some work...

Packet Lib updates will rely on underlying core update a lot, for example you saw the skills/specs upgrade which move all Classes "Career Skills" into database tables so they can be edited without changing source code, this needed a lot of change in Packet Lib when sending skills list to player and even when handling training request...

Some other low level DOL mechanisms have been revamped and newer client revisions needed important new features such as tooltip handling or different startup sequences...

I don't know how much you customized your code base, if you relied on Game Server Script a lot (which is probably not the main focus in DOL Core around 2010...) you could be able to update the core easily :)
Leodagan
Developer

Postby Dinberg » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:46 am

Hey Shadexx,

First up welcome back :)

The bad news is there are a lot of core changes since that time period, and I think you will have a lot of work to update your codebase from 2009 to 2017. As Leo says, the suggested way to customize the game is to use GameServerScripts, but I realize that isn't always easy and I certainly didn't bother to use GameServerScripts back when I did heavily custom projects around the same time.

I would say you are almost certainly more likely to succeed if you approach this from the other way around: rather than trying to update your project to current DOL, which will require going through hundreds of commits (btw, we are on git now not svn!) I would strongly urge you to instead take the most recent DOL source and manually update that with your custom code. It should be less work, and will also allow you to get familiar with some of the newer changes to systems in DOL :)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your custom server running! Good luck, let us know how progress goes!
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby Shadexx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Hello there! :)

Thank you very much for your kind answers :wink:

Alrighty, I will go for the recent code then - it is a good way to get used to the changes too.

Have a nice evening/day
Shadexx
DOL Experienced

Postby Shadexx » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:05 am

A double post - just to say "thanks", these changes are awesome. Just thanks for all the support given by all the contributors. Really nice seeing DOL making process, even if there used to be times where DOL kinda "slowed down". :)
Shadexx
DOL Experienced

Return to “%s” Support