Friday 15/12/2017 Grab Bag

Announcements from Mythic with information about the game

Moderator: Project Admin

Friday 15/12/2017 Grab Bag

Postby Loki » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:21 am

Posted by Community | 2017 Dec 15 16:13 -0500 GMT
Welcome to the last Grab Bag of 2017! We've had a lot of interesting, fun and, I hope, helpful Grab Bags. Looking forward to more in 2018 :) We're going to take a litle bag break here for the holidays, and will return with more Grab Bags after the New Year!

For those wondering where our Midwinter event is, fear not! Midwinter festival returns to the realms early next week, with the 12 days of Midwinter back for the 2nd year running later in the week.
If you have any game related questions for our DAoC Devs, please send them in through our Grab Bag submission form. Please note this is for game questions, feedback should be sent in through our feedback form.

Click 'more' to read this week's Grab Bag! :)

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article ... g-12152017

Can you make seals from DF stack in more than 250 amounts?
Sure can!

All emerald, sapphire, and diamond seals now stack up to 1,000.(Blood seals will remain at 500 due to their limited supply)

Devs, can anything be done about the inability to use 'free skill points' in another melee style OTHER than slash? When a toon is respec'd, say on a pally, I can lvl up to 9 in slash and not have to use any actual skill points, but I can't do that with thrust or crush. This forces my hand on how to spec if I want to take advantage of those points. Can this be fixed so those points can be used on ANY melee style, not just slash?
This is a hold-over from the original “auto-training” specialization system that granted certain classes some extra “auto-train” points to a) try and prevent those early players from not specializing correctly and b) to incentivize certain specializations over others.

It’s an admittedly outdated system and the free skill points acquired are fairly negligible; but we’ve no plans to change how this works at this time. We certainly wouldn’t remove the system as many players have become accustomed to their existing specialization options. So the choice is to leave it alone or give other specializations auto-training points. Rather than figuring out where to draw the line on new auto-training specs, we plan on leaving things as they’ve always been in this case.

Is there a reason why don't guild houses repo if no one from that guild logs on after a certain amount of time? Could Guild Houses also be allowed for demolition?
Yes, this is something we would like to address in the overall housing update.

I remember it used to be that when you place an Atlantis player boat in the water, the sail would display your guild's coat of arms.
(I don't remember if it was the same for Frontiers player boats.) Was I imagining this? I even tried taking the boat to the guild emblemer but the guy looked at me like I was crazy.
Great memory!

Yes, the player-purchased skiffs and cogs from Trials of Atlantis zones should show your guild’s chosen emblem when they are placed in the water. There’s no need to visit any emblemeer NPC as they should display the emblem as soon as the skiff or cog is purchased and placed in the water. However, unfortunately there is a known issue where the ship’s sail will display the wrong emblem and pattern instead. We have that on our list of bugs to fix!

New Frontier scout ships, galleons, and warships always display their realm’s insignia and colors and not the guilds’.

Hi, I was wondering how the Enchanter's Enchantments worked with Legendary weapons.

Example, I cast Enchantment of fire on my group and one tank is using Body legendary weapons. How will the debuff from his weapons be influenced by the enchantment? Will his weapons still debuff Body? Will his damage be influenced by both the heat and body resists of his target?

Also, for the heal bonus spell Graceful Light, does it only work on healing classes (druid, warden & bard) to increase the power of their heals, or does it also work on the rest of the group to improve the healing they receive?
Enchantment of Fire will change the damage type of the legendary weapon to Heat damage for its duration. It will not, however, change the damage type of the legendary weapon’s debuff proc. So in the given example a Body legendary will do Heat damage for the duration of Enchantment of Fire but will still proc a body magic resist debuff.

Graceful light only increases the effectiveness of heals cast by the healer, not the effectiveness of healing on a given target.

Huge thanks to everyone over the year for your questions.

Have a wonderful holiday! :)
“ If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in. ”

Join https://discord.gg/r3T2U7S Official DOL Discord Chat
Loki
Developer

Re: Friday 15/12/2017 Grab Bag

Postby Graveen » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Nice ! And the BS producer letter is mentionning a free to play mode (locked by classes & various, but definitively not a trial 14 days).
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby tegstewart » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:58 am

I'm not sure it's going to breathe much life back into live, though. At this point DOL is just better. :-p
tegstewart
Developer

Postby Sand » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:00 am

Nice ! And the BS producer letter is mentionning a free to play mode (locked by classes & various, but definitively not a trial 14 days).
Sounds about right they do free to play wrong. One way they could of did it was make the test server free to play but that sounds like they are going to make it really confining to be a free player to try and get people paying.

Obviously, a game needs some reason for people to subscribe and/or get money from selling items but in a game like this where lack of players is a problem and leads to people quitting and thus not paying, you don't need that much pay options to ultimately make more money than current mode.

If they went the items selling route to get their money, then liable to be pay to win and would really ruin the game.

I think LOTRO does one of the best approaches to a free to play model, that I have played. A subscription offers you full access to content and get 500/month of the market currency that can be spent for items that generally just speedups or cosmetic. If you have subbed before or otherwise spent money on buying an expansion or market currency you are a premium status which means you have to buy much of content to play but you are able to gain the market currency through gameplay and certain things created/done while subbed is retained. If you never spent a dime on the game, then your a free to play which has a couple more limitations, and think a couple of these can't be unlocked, which I suspect are mainly to combat gold farmers, as it relates to chat and auction. The less money you spend, the more farming you need to do generally but you don't have to spend much time/coin to have access to good amount of and enjoy the game.

For free to play to do well, you need players that will spend money to support the game but players do not feel like they have keep shelling out coin to enjoy the game.

For DAOC, you need to avoid putting things like quests, artifacts, dragonweapons behind a pay wall. Generally, a player would need a reasonable means to obtain any item/content that allow them to compete in RVR without spending money or they will not stick with game for long or all you end up doing is make it a pay more game instead of a free to play game.

They could sell items that increase various types of exp. Also could sell items that make visual changes in game.

Not sure what you can do to limit a free account to make subbing worthwhile yet not holding them back in power thus overly frustrating them in rvr.
Sand
Server Team

Postby Sand » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:21 am

Just read the letter.

This looks worse than I thought as from what I am reading seems like there be no way to go from a free player to paying and vice versa.

If that is case then that be a mistake.
Sand
Server Team

Postby Graveen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:46 pm

I think they will think about this.

But honestly, the game need casuals. Actually you fight dozens of rr10, low ranks are not there, the entry ticket is far too high.

Fresh blood :)
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Sand » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:19 pm

I think they will think about this.

But honestly, the game need casuals. Actually you fight dozens of rr10, low ranks are not there, the entry ticket is far too high.

Fresh blood :)
Casual players would be good for game. One of the reasons for lack of casual players is that the difficulty for them to compete and not just walk on frontier and just repeatedly get killed. Casuals don't necessarily want to be the "best" but very little fun in being just fodder.

That is why I believe the restrictions they will impose on free account is not a good and if on top of that do not give option of going from free to sub and back.
Sand
Server Team

Return to “%s” Grab Bags