Question for those who program

A forum for development and discussion on third party tools such as the Quest Designer

Moderator: Project Admin

Question for those who program

Postby icasekingx » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:16 am

Hello all,

In the late 90s and early 2000s many of my friends played a game by mythic titled "splatterball". To this day we have a small community(~120 people) who would like to get the game going again with the only problem being mythic doesn't host the game any longer. My question is, would anyone be interested in helping create a basic server side to this game? I have the install files for the game, etc. It is far less complicated that DAoC. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
icasekingx
DOL Guest

Re: Question for those who program

Postby Graveen » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:18 am

Reversing a communication between a client and its server is not really simple, but not complex - except in some strange cases like obfuscated protocols / encrypted ones. This is generally always long and boring. Yes, rather easy, but slow to perform.

I suggest you to ask Mythic if they does not want to release the product in free version. This is an old game with not commercial issues, it worths to ask.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Re: Question for those who program

Postby dcosper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:41 am

I would love to learn how to do this as well, i have a old game or two i would like to emulate, i think this would be all packet work until you found the right encryption, but i dunno for sure
dcosper

Return to “%s” Third Party Tools