WhyWhyWhy...

A forum for releases and discussions on database releases by the community

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team, Database Team

Re: WhyWhyWhy...

Postby geshi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 pm

You do realize Eden has put an entire branch of code into DOL with bug fixes and other enhancements?

See, it's never the code, it's all about the DB. If the DB is not shared then everyone gets mad. Why? It's a crap ton of work to craft a DB, why should anyone share their hard work when you know there are people who will take it and run the same server, using the same code, but with a few extra tweaks to try and steal population.

You don't share your database because you know there's at least a couple of people who would do this to you. They have fun doing that crap. Granted, you all should have grown up by now, but you can't tell me with a straight face that you didn't share because others didn't share. That's just a convenient excuse.
I realise that they eventually shared a *part* of Eden, but it took them a very, very long time to do so.. Eden has been around since around 2007/2008 has it not? how many people have quit due to them/other servers not sharing since then?

Yup it's a crap ton of work to craft an entire live-like DB which has to be done over and over by everyone who wants it because no one wants to share theirs.. do you really think in an ideal world that should happen?

What's the point of this project if you believe in "why should anyone share their hard work when you know there are people who will take it and run the same server, using the same code, but with a few extra tweaks to try and steal population." ? have the goals of the project changed? I'm pretty sure one of the main goals a few years back was to create a live-like experience.

I'm really not sure why you're personally attacking myself and others just because we believe the project should have headed down a different road to the one you think it should have. Ideally servers which are not contributing their live-like features to DOL should be removed from DAoC Portal with a few week warning, that should have been done years ago.
geshi
Contributor

Postby Tolakram » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:51 am

Don't know what to say Geshi. You did not address my points, so I suppose that speaks for itself.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby pyrite1978 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:23 am

Well I wont chime in on the Portal comment, I have no say in that, how its managed, or who does or does not get to go on there, Nor do I particularly care.. :P

But Yea, I think i have done a fair enough job of explaining my opinion, and I would like to move on.. :P

this post is stringing on and on, and It isn't fundamentally accomplishing anything at this point :) aside from getting us all hot and bothered :P

I will say that I do have a project in progress.. I have just taken on two cohorts, to help with things, tho they are new to DOL, they are good people. And the direction of the DB and project in general has slightly changed direction. never the less. Im not giving up.

If someone is interested feel free to PM me. :)
pyrite1978
DOL Apprentice

Postby Tolakram » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:38 am

Ah well :)

As far as the portal goes, we do not want to be portal cops, constantly verifying DB contributions and the like. People can always breeze in here and post all kinds of things they don't like, it's easy to post, it's hard to do something about it. All of these grand ideas involve talented people doing nothing more than acting as secretaries, taking in db submissions, somehow merging these with some master database, policing everything. Sounds like a crap ton of fun.

My main points were never addressed. The idea that we have always been a small team due to the fact DAoC was small in comparison to giants like UO and WoW. I also opined that keeping the Storm DB private was needed at the time so that we had players who would help test. There was a limited pool of players and a very small number capable of contributing. This point was not addressed. I also reminded some of the population of not so nice server operators who would gladly steal population if they could, and hack into servers they did not like. Also not addressed.

So here we are at the end of the thread with people going their own way and using the past as an excuse not to do something now or in the future. I'm just the old man calling you all out on the hypocrisy of it all.

the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Dinberg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Is it that time of year already?
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby Dinberg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:34 pm

pyrite: Database work is more time intensive than anything else. Also, alot of people (myself included) do not find it rewarding or fun. I presume thats one of the reasons it hasn't reached the level of maturity that the code has - people do this for fun, and dont pick the boring tasks.

However - the entry point for database work is in general lower, and it doesnt require much learning before you can make valuable contributions. I wish you the best of luck.

(Obvious disclaimer: some people do find the work fun, rewarding, or find it neither but do it anyway. We are eternally grateful for these people, many of whom have dedicated great amounts of time to make the public DB what it is today.)
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby Hadly » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:53 am

OMFG the OP is posting EXACTLY how I feel about this! LOL

When I read it I was like yep I see exactly this and we moved on TWICE because of these issues.Funny thing NOBODY ever on this forum has ever had as much bandwidth and server power I do to host a HUGE server however it makes no difference (pops too low anyway). I never wanted a dollar I just wanted to host a DAoC server that could hold 1000's of players and #1 have a great time.

I recently built a 8 core intel server (talk about nearly a grand for the proc alone) OC'ed it to 4.7 GHZ and has all the top of the line shit you could ever have SSD ,32 gigs memory etc etc and I just wanted to host a game. First time we hosted on a 8 core AMD it was Morgana had a scripter that was great goes by crazys we had 70 ish people in 2 weeks.

Everything was going GREAT till he flipped out even though I was specific I was directing the game, he wanted the control so... ****I gave him all the files**** right... he host it from a dink machine on a cable connection lol needless to say the server went to 0 and stayed that way so they pulled the plug. I ask them for the files and they mysteriously disappeared!

Guess I should of kept them after all it was my project originally and MOST were my ideas.I guess I am saying don't feel too bad after all I got fooked over doing this, people on here want a bunch of broken servers (get it shards!) so quality of service will NEVER go up, people will just move on and find better projects. It's really too bad though it saddens me cause I have everything needed besides great scripters so owell later! :(
Hadly
DOL Guest

Postby DrStrange » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:51 am

I read a good bit of this and I must agree with the OP on most.

Facts I agree on is this site is disorganized really bad,ease of use for a new person is horrible however it belongs to somebody else to maintain not I.
Database IMO is faaaaaaaaaaar easier to deal with then scripting, I dunno I find it easy I just do a section at a time /shrug
There is not enough information on files of any sort******* or they are shotty instructions/ descriptions.
The latest of most .cs files and DBs are years behind all together. I could literally name off a ton of things that have been around for since 06 that are basic and are not found in DoL anyplace.
I notice A LOT of people have came and went including servers however looking from the outside I can see why.

Basically when I come to this site I look for support of any/all types however I end up having to figure out everything in the end so it's basically just a site of *old files and a shell of DAoC* there ya go do it yourself project. Should rename site to Yawn and fight instead of Dawn of light cause that's you feel when you trying to put these puzzles together.

Oh btw whats with kids and their silly population worries lol so strange.

I wish I could script like a jedi master... learning now.
DrStrange

Postby rdsandersjr » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:36 am

Locking thread.

If anyone is interested in helping update documentation, tutorials, Third Party Scripts then please do. We would love the help. However this is starting to be a complaining thread and not productive.
Thanks,
RDSandersJR
rdsandersjr
Support Team

Return to “%s” Database Releases