The frighten November 2009 information letter !

Dawn of Light related news and announcements.

Moderator: Developer Team

The frighten November 2009 information letter !

Postby Graveen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi community,

Here are some fresh news from the team, about DoL and Storm.

Dawn of Light

First, we broke the 2000 commit's number. Due to the people working on the project, this is a good news, and encourage us to go further.

Second, you can notice a new project hosted by the SVN, PLCFilter. Blues, his author, gave it to the community. Thanks Blues ! Anyway, this is one more soft that need maintainers. If you feel like to maintain Quest Designer, Item Creator, Packet Log Converter, and now PLC Filter, please, contact me.

Third, the models database, for objects (items, worldobjects) and mobs is now available. Although in beta (mainly due to the need to complete database) we work on it regularly. http://dev.dolserver.net/models/mobs.php and http://dev.dolserver.net/models/items.php .

Four, the DoL team stated on a new way of releasing database. Although database is a Storm specific thing, and so not released by the core team, we 'd like to push Dawn of Light in providing a focused solution.
This means, we are now share some parts of the Storm DB:

* For game experience, whole spells, abilities, styles, craft recipes are released
    * For PvE experience, whole SI (including Dungeons) is released
    * For RvR, whole NF is released
    * For RvR/PvE, whole Darkness Falls is released

And when i say whole, this is whole. Mobs, items, loot tables, horses routes, teleporters... all is included.
Others parts are definitively private to Storm.

The DoL team will no longer integrate the others zones
, it's now to the community to maintain them, and provide some better databases.

Well, i'm sure we will see dozens of i50 in Shrouded Isles servers soon ! Please, use search before any support question !

Cherry on the cake, a new server release - with this database - is now available to download. Don't wait to test and enjoy it !
Go to our download page to get it: ?page=serverreleases

Storm

Excellent server, Storm integrates now all artifacts.

The Arena in Storm allow you to play in an instanced zone. Want to fight in TirNaNog ? possible ! Want to PvP ? possible ! Want to GvG ? possible ! Want to play tomte hockey ? Possible ! ;)

The Herald is now maintained on the website, same as item list and mob list, or online players. Feel free to see if you have more RPs than Priya, and challenge him !

The population on Storm increased (more than 50 peoples playing), and i'm sure this 'll raise more and more, as Storm is a solid server, with no wipe since a lot, and always running the latest SVN for the best game experience.

Have fun with DoL, have fun on Storm !
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Re: The frighten November 2009 information letter !

Postby Deniska » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Great news about DB! Even if i don't have server ~1 year already :D .

But I have a question about public DB maintaining. How it would be? It will be a separate topic? Or, maybe, users will setup separated SVN/other versioned file storage? Here was a problem in a public DB - the same bugs was kept from release to release. I mean in past users loads fresh public DB dump and then met the same problems, that was in a previous public DB dump. How we can avoid this, who will maintain DB that will be released?
Sorry for my english ]:
Deniska
DOL Acolyte

Postby Roozzz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Jaj :D
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
Roozzz
Database Team

Postby Graveen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:52 pm

Deniska wrote:How we can avoid this, who will maintain DB that will be released?

Simply: DoL team maintains core issues - mainly related to class fixes, and also - but don't expect too much if nobody contributes - NF, DF and SI. The contribution section is open for submit changes, and they 'll be included in next release if they are accepted, as now Storm & public db have strictly identical structures, and obviously need same changes.

If the community wants to package something else (classic zones, catacombs...), they must be ready to repackage this on each release we could do, because we won't include it.

The goal is simply to get rid of any kind of maintenance, while providing a way for testers/players to enjoy pve,rvr and pvp (if DF is considered as a suitable place for PvP). So i took 1 day to write scripts that are extracting from Storm DB the actual parts, and i will simply run theses scripts to create public DB.
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Argo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:56 am

Great job old man :) as usual. i wish my vacation would start today, can hardly await to get back to the dol team to go on with my job :)

kind regards
Argoras
Möge Gott sein zwischen Dir und dem Leid, an allen dunklen und verlassenen Orten, die Du erreichen wirst.
Argo
Server Team

Postby Kakuri » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:31 am

Excellent work!
Kakuri
Developer

Postby Blues » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:16 am

aww, yes i think its great that the public db release will have that much data from storm. And what you are doing with storm sounds awfull, that is becoming a really good server with its own features that make it special and worth playing. More players on storm means more bug reports for dol and that is needed to improve dol. Less db maintainance does not sound that good to me, in my opinion the db needs even more work than the core, but i guess this doesnt mean the db team will retire.
By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.
Blues
DOL Devotee

Postby rdsandersjr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:35 am

Thanks guys, we appreciate this!
Thanks,
RDSandersJR
rdsandersjr
Support Team

Postby geshii » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Very nice, thank you alot!!
Graveen wrote:Everyone think it could be Mirage. Since the second post. This is the winter, and since he does not have friends, he is certainly roaming here, trying to hack one or two servers.

New Trainer fixed up by Geshii ! removed free_leather_vest and free_cloth_vest etc and added just free_vest free_legs !! It 100% working.

Please try help me here! :(
geshii
DOL Acolyte

Postby baradien » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:59 pm

nice indeed :)

but having more rp then priya? i dunno lol :)
baradien
Server Team

Postby Overdriven » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:09 pm

Blues wrote:but i guess this doesnt mean the db team will retire.

Does.

*Retires* ;)

Hmm.. Going to be interesting with multiple databases, I think we need a method to get contributed databases into the Storm database, as we ARE missing things on Storm.
Overdriven
Inactive Staff Member

Postby rdsandersjr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Hmmm... Maybe an interesting trade...I know you guys do more than your fair share, but maybe if the community steps up and helps complete storms DB, maybe the database team could go through and find some of the really hard to implement things and at least make a guide for the community on how to implement them.

Anyhow, you really should make a list of missing features of your database. Maybe make a board in the contrib section and list the things you guys are missing, and we can submit some for review, that away we can contribute to storm, and also the community can use the submitted public info we contribute to storm for the community database.
Thanks,
RDSandersJR
rdsandersjr
Support Team

Postby Overdriven » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 am

rdsandersjr wrote:Anyhow, you really should make a list of missing features of your database. Maybe make a board in the contrib section and list the things you guys are missing, and we can submit some for review, that away we can contribute to storm, and also the community can use the submitted public info we contribute to storm for the community database.

See, that's actually what our contrib section is for - so people can release what they want/when they want, without any guide to what they should give.

Now, onto your idea - I'm generally a fan of that, however, the problem DOL has right now is that people like me who 'work' for DOL, but use Storm as our medium for implementation, don't really have a 'get this done' 'get this done' 'then get this done', it's more (as for contribs) doing what we want/fixing issues we have/fixing issues that pop up on Storm) - It's not great, as we don't tend to release straight SQL as we use to do, since we need testing done nearly ASAP, and a lot of servers tend to keep quiet/don't give what they fix after we've released.

Mobs - Deer_Hunter is our mobs guy, he logs and parses then sticks into our database.. For mob stuff, he's the guy to go to really, but he can't do it all on his own and I can't say what we need/don't need. However, I am aware that we don't use a lot of stuff in our DB, and this makes me sad, as we can't fix/know what' missing unless others' report him. The best idea is to do what Misi is doing and update full zones and release them on here. The issue with this is, as DH does a lot, we can't compare/change with ease and it makes adding stuff that we might not have a slight pain :(

Spells/Styles - I'd consider this my "area" (Tired's too) as most of the stuff I've done falls into this, so I generally know what's missing/what's not missing (It's really minor things, so contributions are minor in this section, but any changes people see missing I'll accept and put directly into the DB ) but updating this is also very minor, as I tend to try and get 'live spells/styles' in as soon as Mythic release them live on their servers.

Items - Allways needed. We always need people to populate the item template. Anything ranging from NPCs with items (Which aren't on storm, would be the nicest) to generally getting old armour updated (See: Darkness Falls/Dragons/High-Value items)

Drop Lists - Needed more than most other things. Lots of things we have aren't complete/to live standard, and this hinders DOL in a way, generally falls into the "item" part too.. Getting anything that isn't currently in the Storm DB/Updating ones that are, would help us.

*brain freezes*
Overdriven
Inactive Staff Member

Postby Graveen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11913 , bug tracker and so. Honestly, i know Storm lacks instances, but for the needed work, i think DB Team knows this better than me. Thx OD !
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby thewildgirl » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:23 am

"And when i say whole, this is whole. Mobs, items, loot tables, horses routes, teleporters... all is included.
Others parts are definitively private to Storm."

Graveen thanks I have no idea if this had anything to do with my post the other day but this is fantastic really appreciate this and any work that we get done on the server we will be sure to filter back into the community.

Thanks again this is fantastic.
thewildgirl
DOL Visitor

Return to “%s” Announcements