New player looking for some answers

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

New player looking for some answers

Postby Sir » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:50 am

Hi guys,

To start with - if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

I'm a totally new player to DAoC - enjoying it so far but a few things are doing my head in and I'm not getting as many answers as I'd like in-game, and I don't want to get to 50 and realize 'oh, that shouldn't be there'.

I've read over a few templates, but those just confuse me even more.

So I'll just go ahead and explain my plan of actions and ask a few questions - if you can help out at all, much appreciated:

What I've done so far:
- I joined Midgard with the intention of being a Valkyrie but was told this is a classic server, so now I know what a classic server is!
- I've since re-rolled and started with a Berserker (I figure standard melee fighter is a decent starter character)
- I've got in mind to go with an Axe and LA (left axe) spec (i.e. I want to dual wield), and don't plan to use swords or hammers at all
- I've achieved level 6 and left it at that for now until I understand a bit more about the game

Questions:
- How many spec points can I spend on both Axe and LA?
Or rather, what would be a recommended amount to spend?
I've d/l the DAoC character planner and apparently I can spend 50 spec points in Axe, 50 in LA and 28 in Parry before running out of points - is this correct for this server as well?
It seems like I've spent (too) many of points, so I'm just curious.

- Are there such things as clans in this game? Everyone seems lumped together in one big guild at the moment, which makes sense, but just wondering.

- What are the differences between Skills and Styles? Just a general definition is fine.

- What are 'Rest points'? They're mentioned on the character planner as well - also, when/where can I obtain these?

That's all I can think of for now.

Again, thanks if you've read this far and answered a question or two!
Sir
DOL Guest

Re: New player looking for some answers

Postby viper1805 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:59 am

-The data from the charplanner is most times accurate unless the server admin modified the server core

-the "clans" in DAoC are called "guilds" and it's more or less the same ... just that a guild fits more into the gameplay and the time in which it takes place than a "clan" ;)

-the skill is your ability you got e.g. with a shield ... with a higher skill level you block better ... additionally when your skill level rises you get some styles which are more or less "moves" you can use in the combat :mrgreen:

-I don't have a charplaner installed here but if i recall right, this programm was written in german so it could just be a missing translation and would mean "Remaning Points" ;)
I will not solve your problems for you ... I will just give you a way to find a solution :mrgreen:
viper1805
Website Team

Postby viper1805 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:06 am

I translated the three phrases on the right for you and I hope that was what you are looking for ;)

regards,

viper
Attachments
daoc-charplan.png
daoc-charplan.png (74.7 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
I will not solve your problems for you ... I will just give you a way to find a solution :mrgreen:
viper1805
Website Team

Postby boltman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 am

I've read over a few templates, but those just confuse me even more.

Templates are gear oriented at end game... you really don't need to worry about maxing out your gear and stats till you level up some.
- I joined Midgard with the intention of being a Valkyrie but was told this is a classic server, so now I know what a classic server is!

A classic server is one which generally sticks to the original classes/expansions. Many people believe that when Mythic added the Trials of Atlantis expansion the game became a timesink with overpowered abilities.. and Valkyrie was in a much later expansion.

Questions:
- How many spec points can I spend on both Axe and LA?

As a Berserker you receive 1.5 spendable points per level, so at lvl 6 you should have 9 spendable points. At level 40 you start getting bonus points on the half levels, So eventually you will be able to hit your 50/50/28 spec.
Or rather, what would be a recommended amount to spend?
I've d/l the DAoC character planner and apparently I can spend 50 spec points in Axe, 50 in LA and 28 in Parry before running out of points - is this correct for this server as well?

Yes, it should be correct for that server as well, so long as they haven't customized the ratios
It seems like I've spent (too) many of points, so I'm just curious.

- Are there such things as clans in this game? Everyone seems lumped together in one big guild at the moment, which makes sense, but just wondering.

There are many guilds, which are like clans. You start in a starter guild, but usually one only stays in this until you find one more to your suiting.
- What are the differences between Skills and Styles? Just a general definition is fine.

Skills are the broad abilities.. Sword, Axe, Left Axe, Parry, etc.
Styles are the usable abilities you get in those sub spec.. for axe it would be Splitter, Splitfrost, Cleave, Plague Etc..[color]

- What are 'Rest points'? They're mentioned on the character planner as well - also, when/where can I obtain these?

What the Character planner shows as rest points are actually points which the game auto dispenses for you in the logical stats. In the early times of the game you had to allocate these points yourself. You still can at character creation, if you deem that you don't like how they are allocated automatically

I Hope you enjoy Daoc :)
boltman
Server Team

Postby Ephemeral » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:51 am

I might just have a heart attack.. A player new to DAOC completely? What is this?
"The swarm is always smarter, faster and more adept than any actor which seeks to thwart it."
C++, Java, C#, VB.NET, ASM.
Current Project:
Engine Developer for The Red Solstice
Ephemeral
DOL Freak

Postby Sir » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for the (quick) responses and well-wishes guys, cleared a lot up for me.

I will enjoy DAoC, no worries there.

And yeah, completely new. Hahaha.
It's always been on my 'to play' list so 8)
Sir
DOL Guest

Return to “%s” General