Learn C# For the First Time

Forum for any discussion not Dawn of Light related

Moderator: Support Team

Learn C# For the First Time

Postby Lost » Wed May 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Would anyone recommend a good online free site to learn C# from for someone with minimal programming background?

I know how to code in other languages very minimally but i am now learning C# and finding it a bit different than what i know.
~ Conspire to survive
Lost
DOL Novice

Re: Learn C# For the First Time

Postby deathwish » Wed May 09, 2012 1:39 pm

- Terry - terryammon
deathwish
Database Team

Postby Tolakram » Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Knowing programming is the key, not the language. I'm always concerned when I see someone struggle with a particular language because I know what they need is the fundamentals, language is not nearly as important. No one who really knows how to program has problems with any language. So what you need to do is find a resource that teaches fundamentals in a way you can understand, and the rest will come easily IF you possess the brain that can code. Don't choose a hard to understand resource just because it's C#.

I like to compare it to cooking.

So I looked at the recipe, figured out how to chop carrots, measure spices, and pour oil into a pan, but it's still not working for me. Right, because you have to learn how to COOK. I can't cook worth a crap.

I despise Oracle, but this brief little tutorial covers some important concepts.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/concepts/

I especially like this sentence:
The syntax of the Java programming language will look new to you, but the design of this class is based on the previous discussion of bicycle objects.
Makes my point above. Language and syntax are minor compared to the concepts needed to write good code.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Lost » Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm

well i dont know if this means anything because i am not a programmer by profession but i can quickly look at any language and start to figure out roughly over all where that particular part of code is going. I suppose what i am struggling with in C# and what i find myself constantly having to do is look at other code to see how it accessed a certain object or how to define something.... really for me it comes down to what functions do what and what is their syntax, from there i can usually work out how to put it all together in such a way that produces results...

Results however are not guaranteed to be good :D
~ Conspire to survive
Lost
DOL Novice

Postby Blue » Wed May 09, 2012 5:11 pm

I have another analogy ;)

C# is your tool, .NET is your material. You would learn how to use your tool and what your materials are but how to build a house with this is a different story then.

The tool can be different, the material can be different. But how to combine everything to make it a house is the point Tolakram tried to point out. You have to learn how a house has to be built then you would apply your tools and material to get it into reality.
ex DOL Lead Developer
Blue
Uthgard Admin

Postby deathwish » Wed May 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Excellent answer Blue :)
- Terry - terryammon
deathwish
Database Team

Postby Lost » Wed May 09, 2012 5:28 pm

that does make good sense!
~ Conspire to survive
Lost
DOL Novice

Postby Graveen » Wed May 09, 2012 6:49 pm

First, learn OOP concepts: read this http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile ... sharp.aspx and this http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/227 ... ing-Concep
Second, read it twice to ensure you understand nicely :D
Third, you can go to C# syntax, use this http://www.fincher.org/tips/Languages/csharp.shtml
Four, learn to use some common .NET classes (the goal is to understand that they exist and be able to browse them)
Five, dive into Dawn of Light, for the best !
Six, with your new knowledge in mind, read OOP concepts one more time :mrgreen:

This is not very long. The learning curve exists for sure, but you 'll REALLY (no, i mean *REALLY*) gain huge in doing this in this way.

Have fun ! this is anyway very interesting :)
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Blue » Wed May 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Very good Graveen. Thats the way to go.
ex DOL Lead Developer
Blue
Uthgard Admin

Postby Lost » Wed May 09, 2012 8:45 pm

/begin reading.

Thanks for the links Graveen im "balls" deep in it now. let you guys know how it goes.
~ Conspire to survive
Lost
DOL Novice

Return to “%s” Other Discussion