Additional Costs in Itemtemplate.

A place where you can talk about anything Dawn of Light or DAOC related

Moderators: Project Admin, Support Team

Additional Costs in Itemtemplate.

Postby deathwish » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Looking around on live daoc and dol servers, i have come to the conclusion that we need a second price added to Itemtemplates.
Primary Price to run the cost of Coins (copper, silver, gold) and the Secondary Price to run other costs(BP's, Seals, Scales).

What would the advantages of having a second price?
# We be able to merg items that have 2 versions on for normal merchants and one that use BP's and seals and save space in the database.
# Items that are sold by Bps and other tokens can then be sold to normal merchants and have the correct price returned in gold.

Has anyone got any opinion on this subject?

Dw - Terry
- Terry - terryammon
deathwish
Database Team

Re: Additional Costs in Itemtemplate.

Postby Graveen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:55 pm

hard to say. I generally dislike melting apple & pear, and i think instead a currency converter is more suitable *if needed*.
In fact i think same items on 2 currencies must be handled like different items.
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby geshi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:18 am

It would save a lot of time if it was just another column added to itemtemplate yeah :mrgreen:
geshi
Contributor

Postby Tolakram » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:44 am

I also thing this should be done in the code, with an NPC that has the correct exchange rates.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Graveen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:18 pm

It would save a lot of time if it was just another column added to itemtemplate yeah :mrgreen:
Problem is, why not 5 more columns ? I can sell/buy to BP, DF seals x3 , aurulites, and why not selling for MLXP / XP or RPs ?

This 'll drive to a unmaintainable design.
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Sand » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:45 pm

I don't think an Exchange rate will work on this as I doubt conversion from coin price and other item prices are consistent and also don't think price should be added in itemtemplate.

I think this best be handled in the merchant itself. Isn't this the way DF gear is handled?

Graveen we wouldn't need 5 extra columns most likely because items are typically only puchasable by one type of other "currency" .
Sand
Server Team

Postby Graveen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Sure, but this is to point i don't think adding different currencies as item property is a good move.
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby baradien » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:44 pm

i would says 2 columns one with the currency id like 1 is aurulites or 2 is df seals etc. the other one which value of the price but this column might be optional.

but yeah this is just my opinion ^^ agianst it or not ^^
baradien
Server Team

Postby Blue » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:44 am

What happens if you sell DF bought weapons to normal merchants? I would suggest to have a money value and like seal value on an item. Some items even may have a BP value on top of it.
ex DOL Lead Developer
Blue
Uthgard Admin

Postby Sand » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 am

Not sure what you mean Blue.

If you sell a DF bought weapon to any merchant you get coin back, not seals, as far as I remember, and a pitiful amount.

This is why you salvage and trinket the items.
Sand
Server Team

Postby Dinberg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:56 am

Thats exactly what hes getting at I think - you need two columns at least, one for the gold value of the item, the other for the seal value, as although you can buy the item in seals you sell it back in gold
The Marvelous Contraption begins to stir...
Dinberg
Inactive Staff Member

Yahoo Messenger: dinberg_darktouch

Postby Sand » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Okay, I understand now where this is coming from.

Currently, we can buy items for special currency but when we do we define price in itemtemplae with what it cost in the special currency and then it would have problem selling for coin as it should.

However, I don't see how duplicate items helps that problem though so not sure why you think we would save database space on that account. Currently I see duplicate df items but do not t hink they are there for that purpose, seems like created new items instead of updating to quality changes.

I was thinking the price was set on the merchants that sell for special currency. That seems more logical place to put it to me though do see some issue with it, that makes it harder to keep price consistent if it is on multiple merchants but typically they are on one maybe 2 merchants or if common among realms it might be 3 times that, but usually different realms have somewhat different items.

As far as I know, you don't sell these items for the special currency, you only buy so seems to me merchant be the only place they be needed.
Sand
Server Team

Postby Tolakram » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm

So it sounds like we need value and altvalue (alternate value)? What's the current value column name? Whatever it is it needs to stay the same and one additional column added for the alternate value. Seal seems to specific to me.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Blue » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:18 pm

I would name the price column MoneyValue and the other column just AltValue. It then depends on which merchant this item is offered. If its offered on BP merchant AltValue will be the cost in BP and so on.
ex DOL Lead Developer
Blue
Uthgard Admin

Postby Sand » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Current column is called Price.
Sand
Server Team

Return to “%s” General